Menu
Close

Brexit Wars 3

lse:hsba
lse:lloy
lse:barc

Oh dear Jack. Now is the time to buy UK stocks, there is going to be a short term mini boom after this election.

Yep… and you could be the rear end of the horse.

Huw,

I’ve said similar elsewhere, be it with provisos. Namely, assuming a Tory win, any rise in UK-centric stocks may be relatively short-lived & curtailed by Johnson’s quite asinine, strict deadline to complete new trade deals with EU by end of 2020. No informed commentators that I’m aware of think that’s remotely likely.

Hence the support for Johnson’s WA from far-right political trash like the ERG. - GL.

Yes. 1 day. Then the new trade tariffs kick in on China over the weekend. Could be the biggest trading volume day of the year.

Boom? LOL.

Brexit exit:

IMHO,

SBK

and that’s on top of the 17.5% haircut commercial property took in the aftermath of the referendum. Brexiteers always seem to forget that and say the Project Fear mongers got it all wrong. They are partly right, admittedly, an 18% cut had been warned about.

Brexit, the handy excuse for everyone. In the same way that forgiveness is the convenient spiritual morning after pill for religious sinnners our corporate friends now have Brexit.

Amazing isn’t it?

It is all predicted and its ‘project fear’. Then the predictions come true and its all an excuse.

Pig headed ignorance.

Maybe I am breaking ranks here but to me the problems in the commercial property area may not be all that Brexit-related.

True, the devaluation of the pound has made many imported goods more expensive but additionally, and over a longer timeframe we have had a decade long decline in real wages starting from the financial crisis and then worsened by Tory austerity. These two factors in combination will have hit retailers’ profit margins and consequently their abilty to maintain rental payments agreed in more prosperous times.

To return to an earlier theme, there is no doubt that online retailers are also impacting on traditional retailers by taking a big slice of their sales with lower physical and staffing overheads and, not least, with tax advantages by being headquartered in low tax countries such as Ireland and Luxembourg.

In a trading environment where profit is made on narrow margins it is easy to see how takings are being sucked out of Manchester Arndale and the like and into the welcoming arms of Amazon.

The suppression of wages through Tory austerity and the tax avoidance of companies like Amazon has caused serious problems for the balance of our economy and for employment opportunities. The building and running of Amazon warehouses results in a net loss of jobs once we take account of the closure of all those department stores who have been driven out of business. This is not a Luddite analysis, it is an economic reality.

Frog in a tree

None of it has come true. You just blame every bad thing that happens on it. I notice the pound is rising strongly in anticipation of a BoJo victory, that would explain why you’ve suddenly shut up about it.

I’ve been discussing it on another thread every day which just underlines your pig ignorance.

As I don’t read that thread it is hardly a sign of ignorance. What it does underline is your reluctance to discuss it here.

The higher GBP goes the bigger winner I am. What’s to discuss?

I agree with you about commercial property prices Froglet.
What is undeniable is that Brexit is causing shocks to their valuations. Over a long period of time you would expect it to settle down.
Point is though that this is still an exercise in shooting yourself in the foot for no good reason.

You may remember that back in June the BoE Governor Mark Carney saying that funds like Woodford’s are “built on a lie” because of their liquidity mismatch.
This M&G fund is little different in that respect and invests heavily in the UK retail parks and property.

JW - hi
Thanks for the suggestion m8.
Even as a horse’s ar@e I’ll still talk more sense than you
JAR

What the f*ck is wrong with many Indian males?
I guess none of this will be mentioned with a future trade deal.

on my way back from Portugal easyjet cancelled flight but got another with TAP
Easyjet gave me a small refund but good news EU protect consumers with 600euro reward.

not been replying to JARs childish 1 liners no point.

seen an interview with EU official RE scotland and asked if they would need to apply. He said they would but made the point that as they already comply with all EU laws and regs it would be an easy process.
so the UK breakup is certainly on the cards.
Wonder how England will do with fishing rights then.

can anybody really think bojo knows what he is doing.?

Fishing industry… worth less than 1% GDP… yet in the news re: Brexit negotiations 90% of time.

Services industry… 80% GDP… yet in the news 1% of time… and severely hampered by UK Leaving EU.

just as an example … having this muppet in charge who knows where it will end.?

pete - hi

Welcome back - you were not missed m8
JAR