Menu
Close

Everyday

lse:lloy

So today we read that AIRBUS are to stop the production of the Plane that no airlines want to Buy, surely we can link this back to Brexit if we can find an angle ?
So that’s Nissan who have no product to build due to diesel gate, and Airbus building planes that have no purpose…

Not hard to unpick the Project Fear pt2.

Give over Broadmoor, the Everyday thread is purely for bad news stories and nothing more. Good news stories are ignored.

For instance yesterday Frog posted a link about Mark Carney, while at the same time conveniently overlooking Mark Carney’s comments talking up a golden era of free trade and that Brexit restores faith in democracy. Obviously someone will pick holes in what he’s saying, because when he was bemoaning Brexit that was fine.

It’s breathtaking.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/carney-puts-brexit-fears-pause-sound-china-warning-154546640.html

Trisco…Top marks for the links, I’ve been banned from posting links as the paid remain bloggers found them too positive :wink:

They’ll struggle to find an angle to discredit the Airbus story…they are furiously working away right now trying to figure out how Bloomberg could run this story and Bust wide open the false claims of Brexit related closures… :wink:

Cracks me up how easy this stuff is…

Mark Carney has been quoted on this discussion thread on numerous occasions; and rightly so. Whether that is pro remain, or pro brexit.

He’s far more qualified to discuss the economy than anyone on this board, and therefore quoting him would be the right thing to do.

Indeed Frog, sign him up. He’s changing his tack.

There silence from the bloggers tells you everything , The end is nigh for the remain camp.

@Trisco

Carney actually said yesterday:
"
In many respects, Brexit is the first test of the new global order and could prove the acid test of whether a way can be found to broaden the benefits of openness while enhancing democratic accountability.
Brexit can lead to a new form of international cooperation and cross-border commerce built on a better balance of local and supranational authorities.
In these respects, Brexit could affect both the short and long term global outlooks so it’s in the interests of everyone, arguably everywhere that a Brexit solution is found that works for all.

Nowhere did Carney use the words “golden age of trade” or “golden era of free trade” in that speech… so your comment “overlooking Mark Carney’s comments talking up a golden era of free trade”… is another lie.
There’s nothing wrong with his speech at all… all very general and nothing most would disagree with… and he still stands by the risks and issues that Brexit brings to the UK economy… as he was doing just a few days earlier.

I haven’t seen anybody linking Airbus (& the demise of the A380) to Brexit…apart from Boradmoor.

But in a dramatic shift of tone, Carney now says Brexit could be a springboard to a “new global order” of free trade.

“Brexit can lead to a new form of international cooperation and cross-border commerce built on a better balance of local and supranational authorities," he said at an event in London yesterday.

He doesn’t use the word Golden, but so what? I never said he did. I said he talked up a golden era.

I agree he mentions the risk, but given his very negative stance, in previous speeches, this is a huge change turn of face that is welcomed. My point was, Frog quoted the negative parts of his speech while choosing to ignore the positive points. All very convenient and well spun.

Well, you certainly made it look like he talked about a ‘golden era’ in the way you framed the above.
You can see the full speech here:

It in no way is a “huge change turn of face” (as you say). He’s talking in general terms about the future for the UK economy and with particular reference to Brexit and the risks posed.

Less than 48 hours earlier, he also made this speech so I really don’t think he’s changed his mind:

…where he warned that if the UK leaves the EU without a deal it would be an economic shock and that a no-deal scenario would send the wrong message globally at a time when globalisation is being challenged.

Again, nothing new there either. In fact, it’s all entirely consistent… Brexit poses unnecessary risks, will damage the UK economy and won’t provide any of the nebulous benefits that people lied to you about 3 years ago.

You are absolutely right, my vote for Brexit was a gamble. I like risks. I personally don’t regard the risk as unnecessary as I don’t live my life “better the devil I know”. So far, my approach has worked okay for me and my family. Playing safe might suit a lot of remain (not a direct accusation at you personally - please believe it), but I can see the UK prospering outside of the EU. I wasn’t lied to, as I voted without listening to Farage, Johnson et al. I couldn’t care a less what they told me.

That is my personal view, built on gut feel. Yep, cheap I know. The Brits are a resilient bunch and life will go on. It really will. The world painted by some, is that the sky will fall in on 1st April. We’ll still need to buy cars, buy food, buy medicine, spend money, entertain ourselves. Tourists will still flock here to see the sites.

Might be rough for the first 12/24 months, but medium/long term I can see us prospering at a faster rate than our EU friends. Again, my own personal opinion built on nothing but optimism. So don’t ask me to show you my workings. Which might be blind. But I can live with that.

I realise you’ll be appalled by all this, but so be it. There is so much snobbery that goes on with Remain campaigners on these boards. And remainers not half like to think of themselves as intellectually superior and I’ve no idea where this comes from, or why they think that.

But you see these stats trotted out that most University educated people voted to Remain. Well, so what? Means nothing to me whatsoever.

It might fall flat on my face, but the status quo didn’t exactly have me walking to work on gold paved EU streets.

All that aside, at what point do ardent remainers accept the vote and move on for the benefit of the nation?

There must come a point where they’ll say to themselves, “okay this isn’t what I voted for/want…but life goes on”

Yes, you’re right. The world isn’t going to end under any scenario.

Part of me wants the No Deal Brexit tbh for several reasons. (The worst outcome for me is a negotiated deal that will carry on being negotiated for best part of a decade… which is where we are heading.)

One of them is that only then will people get to see that they still don’t have any more control, their lives aren’t any better, that fisherman still have quotas, still foreign fleets fish in UK waters and UK fleets fish in foreign waters, that the UK is still multicultural and that immigration still isn’t stopping the types they really wanted stopped.

Once we get to that point then the penny will drop for many.

No news here.

“[…] investment in Britain had been stuck around zero, with a drop of 3.7% in 2018, despite an upswing worth about 6% annually in the rest of the G7. Consumer spending also slowed as households came under pressure from higher prices, sparked by the sharp fall in the value of the pound straight after the Brexit vote”

I agree there. We either have No Deal, or we remain. Otherwise what has been the point? A halfway house is a complete waste of time.

What a load of spin that article is. If I posted links from The Sun, or Mail, or Pete’s fav The Express, I’d be lambasted on daily basis; and rightly so.

Yet people plaster the Guardian links every single day, with a massive air of superiority and that is apparently okay. Shock horror, the Guardian writes pro-remain articles! Wow.

could force an emergency cut in interest rates, according to a Bank of England rate-setter

“Could”. Just his hunch. Or that of the journalist, who writes for a pro-remain newspaper. No direct quote. Strange that?

Gertjan Vlieghe, a member of the Bank’s monetary policy committee, said that since the vote in June 2016, the economy had lost about 2% of GDP compared with a scenario where there had been no significant domestic economic events

Compared with no significant domestic economic events! How convenient. How has the GDP grown across individual nations, within the EU since then? Where is the comparison?

He then goes on

Since the referendum, the UK’s economic growth has slowed while the rest of the world has recorded one of its strongest periods for growth of the past decade.

The World, not the EU on it’s own. This decade, which follows a global recession.

He also adds, which was omitted from the Guardian article

A lot needs to go right for this forecast to come to pass,” Dr Vlieghe said.

“I feel I can probably wait to see evidence of growth stabilising and inflation pressure rising before considering the next hike in Bank Rate.”…

Are you compering The Guardian to the Sun? That’s rich. Daily Mail?

Source please?

I for one appreciate your honesty…at least you don’t pretend to have all the answers.

Looks like we are shaping up nicely for exiting with a clean slate, Only ever Deal that was on offer was to Leave the EU without agreement,
That’s what we the Majority voted for…

Your worst fear should be the words “Article 50 is being extended”… when you hear those words, you know the game is up for No Deal… and then it’s just a matter whether Parliament can actually all agree on something… and if they can’t… get ready for #BrexitRef2.

Sure, mate.