Menu
Close

Everyday

lse:lloy

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-the-uk-and-the-eu-cannot-agree-a-deal-on-the-terms-of-the-uks-departure-from-the-eu-by-october-would-you-support-or-oppose-the-uk-leaving-the-eu-without-a-deal/?groups[0][0]=Strongly%2Bsupport&groups[0][1]=Tend%2Bto%2Bsupport&groups[1][3]=Tend%2Bto%2Boppose&groups[1][4]=Strongly%2Boppose&removed

More polling evidence from the beginning of this week which shows a majority opposing a no deal Brexit.

Data like this illustrates that an early election would be a very big risk for the Tories. The most likely outcome would be a hung parliament, perhaps with a stronger pro-Remain balance. Labour should be walking this but they have a catastrophic failure in leadership.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

And Fynne and Threadbare both think Trump is great… makes you laugh… what a sorry bunch.

Did anyone ever explain to him that the USA invaded hispanic and Mexican territories in the south and south west and that the invasion was actually by north Europeans therefore? And some southern states actually convict scool teachers for teaching the theory of evolution - it will be convictions for ‘the wrong history’ next.

As I said on the Brexit thread, 251 mass shootings in the US this year so far.

We should be thankful that in Europe nutters can’t just walk into a corner shop and buy an assault rifle. Not only would our knifing gangs here in the UK upgrade their kit PDQ but a whole range of bedroom terrorists would be on the rampage, especially the lone wolf Brexiteer type dingbats like Thomas Mair.

The less influence US society has over here the better.

IMHO,

SBK

LLOY Down 2.4% at 50p this morning. The Asian and European stock markets all down by substantial amounts as a result of The Groper’s trade war threats. We have had successive days of falls and it looks like there is a big risk that we are entering a major correction. Its about time that the US got control of their President.

Stuff is also happening between Japan and South Korea. The BBC reports:

" sales of Japanese cars in South Korea have slumped as Tokyo’s export restrictions on Seoul continue to provoke a consumer backlash.
Industry data showed Toyota sales plunged 32% from a year earlier, while Honda’s sales slid 34%. The two countries have been locked in a bitter trade battle that has been building since Tokyo hit Seoul with export curbs last month. It’s prompted South Koreans to boycott Japanese goods - from cars to beer and tourist trips."

Interesting to see that a citizen boycott can have such a powerful effect. This might be the best weapon we have to resist The Groper’s one-sided trade policies.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

It seems that China is fighting back against The Groper’s trade wars by allowing the Yuan to fall. This will make its exports cheaper. More turmoil ahead.

Cheers

Frog in a tree

Sterling down 0.88% against the euro today. Johnson must be proud of himself. Stock markets down by over 2% most places. I imagine the The Groper must be coming under some pressure from the money men.

Contrary to the voices of doom from @shareordie and others, the euro has strengthened against sterling, the dollar and the yen.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

"Whisky is one of the UK’s most important exports. Currently EU regulations require a product labelled ‘whisky’ or ‘whiskey’ to be aged for a minimum of three years.

A post-Brexit deal between the UK and the US might change this and open the way for younger products onto the market."
#####################################
From 3 years to 24 hours…some of the Glaswegian drinkers seemed to like the ‘quick’ stuff…but they like Iron Bru up there don’t they!?

Whiskey: I’ve often felt that it is a pity really that something which has taken 12 years to evolve into perfection lasts such a short time in my house.

IMHO,

SBK

"One retailer said that 31 October “is about the worst day you can pick,” because warehouse capacity is at 105% in November, versus 75-80% in March.

They said that the UK would need 30 massive empty warehouses to store just a week’s extra food supply."
#######################################
I wonder how many ‘massive’ warehouses they will have built by the end of Oct…I expect they could fit quite a few tins of beans & bog rolls in Westminster Abbey!! (just an idea)

It’ll be good to watch Brexit supporters starve.

IMHO,

SBK

Everyday…

…more evidence of the negative impact of Brexit. Today The Guardian reports on falling house prices which are thought to be the results of Brexit fears. One might have thought that with Sterling having fallen to a low value on Brexit worries that foreign money mightbhave propped up the market but I guess that foreign buyers might also worry about buying into a punctured economy.

Frog in a tree

Everyday…

…more Brexit damage comes to light. This time it is “non-doms” fleeing Britain because of Brexit risk:

The number of UK residents whose permanent home - or domicile - is outside of the UK has fallen by 13% to 78,300 in the last year. And that has hit Treasury revenues, according to law firm Pinsent Masons.

As a result, tax paid by so-called non-domiciled residents - or non-doms - has fallen 21% to £7.5bn, it said.

“Brexit uncertainty is driving out many of the wealthiest non-doms who are not prepared to hang around to find out the outcome," Pinsent Masons’ Josie Hills, said.

“The prospect of a Labour government is also very unappealing for high net worths - talk of monetary controls and wealth taxes are not well received," she said.

"Given that there could be a general election in the near future, many will not be willing to take the risk that this becomes a reality.”

“Non-doms make a huge contribution to HM Treasury’s coffers; this small group has contributed £45bn in tax over the last five years. The impacts of falling tax receipts from non-doms may only be felt once it’s too late," she warned.

I must say that I don’t have much sympathy with tax dodging non-doms.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

Everyday…

…we get more evidence of the hardship that Brexit is causing to ex-pats reliant on sterling incomes. Today we heard from our friend Fynne in Greece. Poor thing! But he did vote, in fact, to make himself poor as well as everyone one else back in Britain.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

Mmmm… this is one of the benefits of using the same currency of course… reduced transaction costs.

Let’s hope for the best for our friend @fynne that there is no “no deal” Brexit that sends sterling into a major crash. I wouldn’t like to see him resorting to a Greek foodbank.

Frog in a tree

Well… with no deal… then Residency can be withdrawn in 2020… anything can happen then.

When you look at Brexit it was these “Patriots” that caused all this shame. now they are leaving.

I see that sterling has bobbed under 1.08 euros again. Trend is still down.

Frog