Menu
Close

Everyday

lse:lloy

Everyday…

…more evidence of the negative impact of Brexit. Today The Guardian reports on falling house prices which are thought to be the results of Brexit fears. One might have thought that with Sterling having fallen to a low value on Brexit worries that foreign money mightbhave propped up the market but I guess that foreign buyers might also worry about buying into a punctured economy.

Frog in a tree

Everyday…

…more Brexit damage comes to light. This time it is “non-doms” fleeing Britain because of Brexit risk:

The number of UK residents whose permanent home - or domicile - is outside of the UK has fallen by 13% to 78,300 in the last year. And that has hit Treasury revenues, according to law firm Pinsent Masons.

As a result, tax paid by so-called non-domiciled residents - or non-doms - has fallen 21% to £7.5bn, it said.

“Brexit uncertainty is driving out many of the wealthiest non-doms who are not prepared to hang around to find out the outcome," Pinsent Masons’ Josie Hills, said.

“The prospect of a Labour government is also very unappealing for high net worths - talk of monetary controls and wealth taxes are not well received," she said.

"Given that there could be a general election in the near future, many will not be willing to take the risk that this becomes a reality.”

“Non-doms make a huge contribution to HM Treasury’s coffers; this small group has contributed £45bn in tax over the last five years. The impacts of falling tax receipts from non-doms may only be felt once it’s too late," she warned.

I must say that I don’t have much sympathy with tax dodging non-doms.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

Everyday…

…we get more evidence of the hardship that Brexit is causing to ex-pats reliant on sterling incomes. Today we heard from our friend Fynne in Greece. Poor thing! But he did vote, in fact, to make himself poor as well as everyone one else back in Britain.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

Mmmm… this is one of the benefits of using the same currency of course… reduced transaction costs.

Let’s hope for the best for our friend @fynne that there is no “no deal” Brexit that sends sterling into a major crash. I wouldn’t like to see him resorting to a Greek foodbank.

Frog in a tree

Well… with no deal… then Residency can be withdrawn in 2020… anything can happen then.

When you look at Brexit it was these “Patriots” that caused all this shame. now they are leaving.

I see that sterling has bobbed under 1.08 euros again. Trend is still down.

Frog

Britannia incapable of ruling the waves

In an email sent to the BBC in error, it is clear that DEFRA is worried about whether the UK has the capacity to patrol its fishing grounds:

Perhaps it will be helpful if Scotland and NI eventually secede from the UK as it will make patrolling the English fishing grounds more do-able?

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

A definition of delusion…failure to realise that you’re part of the problem but not part of the solution.

A ‘Unity’ government is doomed to failure…Dominic will be happy and has probably factored that into the algorithms of Cambridge Analytica.

Funnily enough the 3 words that give the location for Boris Johnson are:

1. Brexit
  2. Balls
  3. Up

Arron Banks really is a scum-bucket.

Of course, Thunberg is very much brighter than the Boneheaded Right-wing knuckledragging Climate change deniers, including Banks, Farage and The Groper.

Good luck to Greta in her mission. She speaks for many of us.

Frog in a tree

stange how so many Brexiters are racist and trump supporters and Climate change deniers’

Trump on climate change… who cares about future generations ??

…and on the subject of beautiful crystal clear water:

Frog in a tree

Well worth a read on the Brexit Party and their views on Climate Change. What a bunch of arses.

Farage has a history of spreading misinformation about climate science, of which DeSmog has kept track over the years. He told an interviewer in 2013: “I’m all for pollution controls but to obsess with carbon dioxide, which as I understand it, is a perfectly natural occurring phenomenon, strikes me as strange.”

Farage has also called wind energy “the biggest collective economic insanity I’ve seen in my entire life.” That would be the cheapest source of new power, along with solar, energy experts now say.

Under his watch, UKIP’s 2015 and 2017 general election manifestos pledged to rip up green measures, including a promise to repeal the UK’s Climate Change Act, withdraw from the Paris Agreement and spur on fracking.

On the day of the Brexit Party launch, Farage told BBC Radio 4 there was “no difference between the Brexit party and UKIP in terms of policy,” which gives an indication of where the Brexit Party stands on climate change.

source: https://www.desmog.co.uk/2019/05/01/brexit-party-climate-science-deniers?amp

Everyday…

…companies report how Brexit is damaging their businesses. We can be sure that if they are being damaged so are the livelihoods of their staff.

Frog in a tree

My guess is that a Unity government led by Ken Clarke as PM and Harriet Harman as his deputy would stand a chance of getting sufficient Parliamentary support…assuming that Corbyn doesn’t have a tantrum because he didn’t get what he wanted (to be PM himself).

A Unity government is guaranteed to stop ‘No’ deal Brexit (as far as I can tell) but may be difficult to get support. I believe it could also be formed quite late, with a ‘No’ confidence vote circa 2 weeks before the 31st October cliff edge.

You could email Corbyn to urge him to stand aside in the national interest.

jeremy.corbyn.mp@parliament.uk

Frog in a tree