Menu
Close

Everyday

lse:lloy

"Farms already receive more than £3.5bn a year in EU subsidies under the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP).

The government has told farmers those support levels will be maintained until the next general election and that is included in Andersons’ calculations."

Regardless of the subsidies we receive the UK is a nett contributor… no reason why these subsidies (if required) can’t continue?

That level of subsidy will not be sufficient to bail out most farmers in the event of loss of markets/ punitive tariffs.

But the bigger question is that why should they get a penny of taxpayers’ money when other sectors do not? After all, they should make their own way in the new freewheeling, global trading Super Britain, freed from the shackles of the EU, yadda, yadda…

IMHO,

SBK

Good point buns, at least it’ll be the UK making these decisions for the UK rather than an EU wide one size fits all … totally agree

Regardless of the subsidies we receive the UK is a nett contributor… no reason why these subsidies (if required) can’t continue?

Fynne,

Your concentration on net contributions rather ignores the benefits that the UK gains in terms of preferential trading relationships with the other EU countries. The no deal scenario is likely to make the UK a more difficult and more expensive country for those EU countries to buy from. When our exports drop, so will Treasury revenues. Add to that the fall in sterling and we will have less tax revenue with which to bail out farmers and other struggling industries.

Frog in a tree

"Mr Johnson said the EU’s response to his demands was “a bit negative”.

However he said he would enter Brexit talks with “a lot of oomph” and there was “a real sense that something needs to be done” with the backstop. "
##############################################
BoJo the clown really is an entertaining chap…I wonder if he is going to wear a flower that squirts water when he meets Angular Merkel…she will so enjoy his ‘English - upper class twit - humour’…“scrap ze Backstop, zats a gud vun, herr Bojo”

Upper class twit or upper class tit?..same thing really!!

Good to see your learning the new vocabulary that will be required for future membership of “Ze EU” !

Said the ‘man’ living on a Greek island swimming in German debt!!

Good to hear someone else understands just who (exactly) Greece is “in hock” to ?

And every Euro the Greek authorities get from you goes to pay off that German debt…keep up the good work!!

Is there a rumour that Trump now wants to buy the island of Britain!?..I’d advise him to save his money, after Brexit we’ll be paying him to be a part of the Trump empire.

What’s sad about that story (I thought it was a hoax when I first heard it) is that this was a state visit… he was invited by Denmark’s Queen Margrethe II… not to negotiate a sale of part of their land.

Imagine if he had cancelled the state visit to the UK a few months back… not that most wanted him here anyway.

I know … my biggest bug bear.
But as it’s mostly cash I like to think some of it supports the local economy

Have the locals started paying their taxes then?

I said “local” economy!
Stop trying to interfere by telling the Greeks how to run their country. Who are you to decide how another country is run …
it’s why both the euro and eu won’t work … other countries are just too diverse.

It remains the case, Fynne, that poor fiscal discipline and widescale tax evasion have a lot more do with Greek and Italian economic failure than membership of the euro. I hope that you are being a good boy and are paying your full share of taxes to the Greek authorities.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

Gee… touchy… all I asked was if the locals were now paying their taxes.
Of course, it would help if they did actually pay their due taxes rather than engage in a black economy where few do… then wonder why the Government doesn’t have much money.

Lets not blame Trump
or give him credit for everything
Trump = US
US wants to hurt EU
and UK is nothing more than a pawn
Brexit and all Anti EU
is US scheme
UK will do whatever US demands
Once thats done
He will refuse UK visit as well

You’ve just come up with that rarest of things… an advantage of Brexit.