Menu
Close

Everyday

lse:lloy

LOL
yeh didnt think of that

Makes you wonder why we are shipping our waste abroad in the first place. But that’s a rubbish question!!

Usual story… developing countries can a) process it where UK doesn’t have enough facilities and b) they do it cheaper than UK can.
About 2/3 of it is sent abroad…

"Mr Trump has also said he had “hereby ordered” American companies to look for alternatives to China and suggested they make products in the US instead.

On Friday Mr Trump turned his fire against the head of the US central bank, Jerome Powell, after he spoke out about the economic risks of a trade war.

In a tweet, the president went as far to question whether Federal Reserve chairman was a greater “enemy” than China’s leader Xi Jinping"
##########################################################
Perfect timing with a US presidential election next year…the Chinese just have to wait a few months and Trump will look for a deal (IMO).

No president would seek re-election with a huge trade war impacting on the US economy…although Trump is an odd person and he might figure it would please his base.

China might calculate that continuing a trade war into next year was worth it to get rid of Trump…if Trump wins next year he would go after China with all guns blazing (IMO).

“The US must lift restrictions on UK businesses if it wants a trade deal with the UK, Boris Johnson has said”

"

• Melton Mowbray pork pies… are currently unable to enter the US market because of, I don’t know, some sort of food and drug administration restriction."
  • UK bell peppers cannot get into the US market at all.
  • Wine shipments are heavily restricted. If you want to export wine made in England to the US you have to go through a US distributor.
  • There is a tax on British micro-breweries in the US that doesn’t apply to US micro-breweries in the UK."

##########################################
Has BoJo lost all touch with reality…or is this simply electioneering with a GE in mind?

I wonder what Trump’s response to this ‘threat’ was…laughter or perhaps “Ok, No deal!!” (maybe “Where’s my red button?”).

So we are going to conquer the world by selling bell peppers (do we even export them), pork pies (that’ll go down well in Muslim countries), English wine (??) and micro-brewery beer??

Quite some list of outstanding, cutting edge, technologically advanced UK goods. We are going to corner the world in pork based foodstuffs. A UK packed lunch option at McDonalds in the USA…perhaps!!

It wouldn’t be the first time Johnson has talked rubbish would it?

Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of peppers during 2018.

Spain: US$1.22 billion (22.1% of total peppers exports)
Mexico: $1.16 billion (21%)
Netherlands: $1.08 billion (19.5%)
Canada: $386.5 million (7%)
United States: $242.6 million (4.4%)
Morocco: $151.9 million (2.8%)
Israel: $136.4 million (2.5%)
Vietnam: $120.2 million (2.2%)
Turkey: $118 million (2.1%)
South Korea: $93.8 million (1.7%)
China: $77.1 million (1.4%)
France: $69.3 million (1.3%)
Belgium: $64.3 million (1.2%)
Jordan: $48.3 million (0.9%)
Austria: $44.4 million (0.8%)

By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 90.8% of global peppers exports.

Among the top exporters, the fastest-growing peppers exporters since 2014 were: Vietnam (up 210.8%), Morocco (up 95.8%), China (up 61.2%) and Turkey (up 47.5%).

Three countries posted declines in their exported peppers sales, namely: Israel (down -27.4%), France (down -3.6%) and Belgium (down -2.8%).
[http://www.worldstopexports.com/top-sweet-pepper-and-chili-pepper-exporters/]
########################################################
I cannot see the UK on the list. Or is that what Brexit means…increased ‘bell pepper’ production…upcoming BoJo speech: “Brexit will allow us to be No. 1 in the world… (in a whisper) in Bell Pepper production”

"I cannot see the UK on the list. Or is that what Brexit means…increased ‘bell pepper’ production…upcoming BoJo speech: “Brexit will allow us to be No. 1 in the world… (in a whisper) in Bell Pepper production”.

oily,

The one thing the UK is good at is producing bell - end politicians.

IMHO,

SBK

Ever thought of taking up politics buns … sure you’d fit right in ? … :joy:

We export quite a few bell-ends to Greece apparently…the one true Brexit success :wink:

Reduced to insults I see … sorry if I’m upsetting your little remain “group” ?

finally got it This is what the USA would BUY in an FTA assuming it is agreed …

So our £285Bill a year exports to the EU will be replaced by British Beer and Wine and Melton Mobray pies…

because our trade with US is already surplus
which means everything which could have been traded is already being traded

whats left is bell peppers and pies
how many pies we can turn over quickly for americans to consume at what price to give us economic advantanage… itself is a porky pie

BA, Boris wants a trade deal on services…but has set some red lines on what the USA can get from us - the NHS is off the agenda (apparently) & no chlorinated chicken (apparently). Utter bluster IMO…the Yanks will demand what they want and we will give it (the devil will be in the small print).

These are the published US objectives for a proposed trade agreement between US and UK from 6 months ago:

The main takeaway point from all this is that the US WILL insist on the UK adopting US standards for animal welfare standards, agriculture standards, sanitary standards, trade and goods standards.

Usually these standards are very different to the EU standards that the UK has played a large part in creating over last few decades.
It will move the UK away from EU trading and to a subservient position with the US.

The US will also insist that UK services are opened up ie. to privatise and deregulate services such as healthcare provision or utilities and infrastructure.

This isn’t Project Fear… it’s all in their published objectives and they will have a large, aggressive team of professionals pursuing this.
And on the UK side… we have a buffoon mumbling about pork pies and kippers.

I completely and wholly agree
My position from Obama’s first term is that US wants to curtail China. Since EU didnt want to fight with US against China. Brexit was borne out to hurt EU. As for UK - lol well US can canablise UK and not even think.

There isnt anything going on for UK, most of the world is an adversary and US is the worst friend any country could claim to have

Services like Finacials Banking Insurance.
large part of our economy would free trade deal with USA really benefit UK. where would bulk of new office jobs be ? where would taxes be paid . CAYMAN BELIZE etc.