Menu
Close

Everyday

lse:lloy

We can trade with most of the rest of the world quite happily as part of the EU :face_with_raised_eyebrow:…but we seem to want to isolate ourselves (or put up barriers) to our nearest trading block, the EU.

Brexit IMO sends a message to companies around the world that the UK is isolationist…and we will soon see IF they will continue to invest here post Brexit (assuming Brexit does actually happen).

but only as long as we follow the rules laid down by the EU, and I might suggest that the UK is far from happy with some of these rules.

Big headline, but no real indictment on Brexit, since the 2017 level is still well above the average from the pre-2015 years shown.

About the only thing I would agree with you on is that time will tell if there is a truly negative impact on inward investment and how long any (currently only potential) drop lasts. However we will have to wait for about two or three more years for any meaningful trend to appear.

but only as long as we follow the rules laid down by the EU

…just a small point, it is the case that as a member of the EU we have contributed to setting those rules. They ARE “our” rules. We benefit from the powerful hand that the EU holds. Alone on the world stage we will be supplicants and will have to concede on a lot of difficult issues.

Frog in a tree

source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/department-for-international-trade-inward-investment-results-2018-to-2019/department-for-international-trade-inward-investment-results-2018-to-201

“Brexit has chilling effect on UK inward investment”
source: https://www.ft.com/content/bdc9f940-bb92-11e9-b350-db00d509634e

Which the UK (as part of the EU) had a hand in coming up with…if they didn’t like the rules they could have blocked them.

Instead we have to go into ‘negotiations’ with the USA with our trousers around our ankles and a sign on our backside saying “Come & get us big boy”…and Trump is all too willing to oblige (the gentleman that he is). It ain’t gonna be much ‘fun’ for us!!

This ‘inward investment’, it wouldn’t include Foreign companies buying UK companies ‘on the cheap’ because the £ is so weak?

I though ‘investment’ in the UK car industry had fallen off a cliff.

Sounds straight-forward, but as is usual it is far from the case.

Trade deals are negotiated by the Commission, and these will be dominated by the views of the most dominant Countries. The ratification of these deals can be vetoed at the highest level, but it is difficult to overturn a deal with which we may agree 85% with for the same of the remaining 15%.

Other rules are set internally within the EU and many of these do not within the range of a veto, and hence have to be accepted.

I recognise the classic remainer mantra that the UK is a small insignificant speck and has to bow down before any other larger Country. Unfortunately the reality is that the UK’s position is not as weak as remainers would like to believe.

The reality is, Bowman, that in all these negotiations you never get everything you want and compromises have to be made. So it was in the EU and so it will be again if we leave. The only way to get most of what you want is to have the strongest hand in the negotiations. Between the Disunited Kingdom v the US, who do you think will have the greatest bargaining power?

Get Real Bowman!

Frog in a tree

Bowie, we shall see…within just over a year (IF Brexit happens) we will have negotiated a FTA with the EU (according to BoJo)…that will be the first test to our ‘greatness’ in the world (or ‘possibly’ a bit of a reality check). :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Quite.

Moreover… does @Bowman truly believe that the UK economy will be financially better off by Leaving the EU?
Let’s hear him say that.

The Government’s own analysis has never showed that… neither has any independent analysis.

So showing some misleading charts drawing a conclusion that Brexit isn’t impacting us when clearly it has been since 2016… and will continue to do so but stronger if we do Leave the EU… isn’t really credible.

Best to simply say things like Brexit Means Brexit… or we will be able to Take Back Control.
ie. stick with the meaningless gibberish.

Ah but then the tune will change to…“well the nasty EU wouldn’t give us a good deal… so they’ve cut their own throats as well… so there.”

Correct Bowman, I am told that you can do it all online except the online system does not seem to work

I did. German ministers can propose all they want, france isn’t going to give up its permanent members seat, and I doubt the permanent members would want to see one of their number end up having to consult 28 others before making a decision.

Like I said, its a ridiculous idea.

Well you’re wrong. Winning countries, yes, sort of, except neither France nor China could really be called that and UK did little more that survive. When the U.N. was being set-up France, USSR and UK represented empires which no longer exist (in fact France and UK’s were already falling part).

So, the population component that they represented has fallen away. USSR population also halved when its seat morphed into just Russia.

That might be your view, but you are in the minority when it comes to the Leave camp as a whole. “Spend the money on us!”. “Why should people like this [photo of miners from early 80s] have to work until they are 70 to support people like these [photo of Syrian refugees]”. “Send them back and give their council houses to hard working Brits!”.

Just a sample of messages I see every day on social media … and I’m not even signed up to any of the far-right Brexiteer ‘time to take back our empire’ fake news sites, but some of the people I grew up with obviously are and this is the type of things they often ‘share’.

and if it is a disaster - then what? There wont be any significant free trade deals in place in 2 or 3 years, unless with the EU and on the back of the EU.

Everyday…

…more news of Brexit related damage to British business. Today the BBC reports on difficulties in a Cornish pasty factory:

To be honest, I am a bit unsure how Brexit uncertainty affects this company as it wasn’t explained in the article.

Frog in a tree

FIAT - hi

But post it anyway???
JAR
:roll_eyes:

…throw the dog a bone, occasionally!

I like a bit of balance.

Frog

The management do blame Brexit uncertainty, it clearly states. Surely whoever wrote the report included their explanation for such a statement, but the editor has cut it.

Brexit is bad for the economy generally, it doesn’t have to be a business directly related to obvious Brexit issues to feel the ill-wind.

A ‘typically’ ambiguous statement from THE management. Any decent reporter would have asked the question: …“What do you mean by Brexit uncertainty?”

Instead we get an asinine puff piece of inconsequential journalism…‘the oldest pasty maker’ closes a factory from the 1970’s…surely Cornish pasties must have been made by this company well before 1970!?

The ‘Brexit uncertainty’ is a pathetic excuse for THE management to make people redundant…why not admit the truth…they needed to streamline the business, reduce costs and close a ‘probably’ inefficient factory that was surplus to requirements.

Or does Brexit uncertainty really make fewer people eat Cornish pasties??..answers on a postcard to Greggs!!

Clever people don’t believe the Tory lies…