Menu
Close

Everyday

lse:lloy

You’ll have to edit that sentence. All over the shop, @Eadwig.

That link does nothing to argue your point about an improvement in the housing market. The case study has nothing to do with Brexit, more ticking time bomb with regard Equity Release. He may have a point, but what that has to do with “selfish Brexit Voting Generation” I’ve no idea.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I refer you to my comments about ‘the bank of mom and dad’

You appear to be looking at one single month’s figures and purposely posting misleading rubbish

Here is the truth of the RICS monthly house price survey that you say is such good news.

Jan. 16, 2020 -2%
Dec. 12, 2019 -12%
Nov. 14, 2019 -5%
Oct. 09, 2019 -2%
Sep. 11, 2019 -4%
Aug. 07, 2019 -9%
Jul. 10, 2019 -1%

Says the man who posted a link about a case study in equity release, with absolutely zero reference to Brexit, political uncertainty, the UK housing market, or RICs figures, to back up his weak argument!

But regardless, you are right I do appear to be looking at one single month’s figures, and I reckon you worked that out by simply reading what I wrote in post 3735:

I also caveated that by saying

10/10 comprehension skills. :clap:t6::clap:t6::clap:t6:

Chill out, man. You’re sound all het up.

Sales expectations had “risen sharply”, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) said.
House sales rose last month for the first time in seven months, boosted by higher activity in London and the South East of England.

“The signals from the latest RICS survey provides further evidence that the housing market is seeing some benefit from the greater clarity provided by the decisive election outcome,” said Simon Rubinsohn, RICS chief economist.

If Estate Agents are seeing an uplift in January, given the archaic housing buying process in the UK, the actual sales won’t take place until Feb or March at the earliest and will then filter down into the RICs figures at that point.

But I guess you knew all that, as you sound like a huge expert on this topic.

UK banks approve most mortgages since 2015 - UK Finance

Last twelve months (in my home area) house prices are higher … rents are higher .
Source (Rightmove) as witnessed by using my eyes. :eye:

Everyday…

…we hear of another dire warning having been tempered, if not reversed entirely.

_ “We deny such a contingency plan exists. We’ve modeled every possible ramification of Brexit and the fact remains that our entire business both in the UK and in Europe is not sustainable in the event of WTO tariffs.”

There seems to be some doubt around this Trisco. WTO tariffs are threatening to Nissan.

Frog in a tree

@Trisco Do you actually read these articles?

“You would see production shift in both directions. Some production would come to the UK for the UK market and some would go to Europe.
“Given the size of the European market, the size of the movement that way would be much greater, so overall it would be a hit to UK automotive.”

It clearly says that UK loses out thanks to Brexit.

The uncertainties are regarding things such as whether both the EU and Japan are granted 0% tariffs on UK imports… which we won;t know until the UK Government negotiates with EU… and separately Japan.
The EU-Japan trade deal will help Japanese car sales in the UK over European manufacturers (most likely) but that doesn’t mean they are going to be manufactured in the UK.
It made sense when they were producing them for both UK market and Europe but the EU-Japan deal and Brexit have both scuppered any likely increases in manufacturing from Japanese car manufacturers in the UK.

Incidentally… precisely those same words can be used for the Financial Services industry where Brexit has forced every financial institution (US banks, European banks, UK banks… all) to create EU state legal entities and to push their non-UK business through them.
Funnily enough an hour ago I watched the Bafin President being interviewed on Bloomberg talking about how global financial businesses UK operations were having to adjust to placing more staff in EU state countries and being questioned by the interviewer on how they are stepping that up towards the end of the transition period.

I was doing my tax return.

I was also well aware that the ‘uplift in the houding market’ was actually just a partial reversal of the sentiment from the previous month which was preceeded by several other months of falling sentiment.

The fact that the ‘uplift’ story was taken from a survey with negative a score shows that more of the professionals involved in the market expect prices to fall than those that expect a rise.

So, no uplift at all. Just an expectation that the picture would improve over a deeply bad month caused by the election, which in turn was caused by Brexit.

I think the ‘bank of mom and dad’ article is applicable here also, because another stat I’ve seen misused in this area recently is the mortgage numbers. Clearly if increases in numbers are down to equity release re- mortgages (which they are) rather than actual borrowing to fund buying a house then the overall picture is actually negative (although not for the bank involved).

If you think mortgage numbers and their make up and the RICS house price survey are nothing to do with UK housing and if you can’t recognise that Brexit, including the election, weren’t driving uncertainty, then you’ve lost it.

You say my argument was weak. I wasn’t making an argument, I was referencing facts. So far as I’m concerned there is no argument, the figures speak for themselves.

No problem, we’ve all been there.

Are you completely confused by your Tax Return? You claim I’ve lost it, by saying I couldn’t recognise that Brexit/election weren’t driving uncertainty, when I literally said exactly that! What are you arguing with:

I’ve literally stated what you claim I’ve lost the plot on.

Here @eadwig, I’ve some marbles in desk which I think you’ve lost :wink::wink::rofl:

Pay an accountant … far easier

I do. You still have to supply an accountant with figures, you know?

You have lost it, but I can’t be bothered to explain further.

Let’s see what Feb RICS figures bring, they will have some meaning as they wont be measured form an abnormal base figure.

I don’t fill out my tax return? … spreadsheet, invoices, statements etc handed over months ago
They do the rest and tell me what to pay!
… but as it’s supposed to have been paid by 31st January I guess you’re a little disorganised and running late … np

What you describe in your first sentence is book-keeping. I restrict use of my accountant to just filling out my return from the figures I give him.

Yes. The deadline is an issue, by the time I get motivated enough it is already too late to hand over all papers to my accountant at his busiest time of the year and expect him to get my return in on time. So I do the books myself (essential for a full understanding of my position, I believe) and then pass on the results to my accountant to fill out the return.

This means any questions arising within HMRC are directed to my accountant before me and only once in 30 years has he ever had to refer anything to me for subsequent follow-ups. And that turned out to be nothing more than his and HMRC’s failure to understand First Direct is a wholly owned subsiduary of HSBC (then Midland bank).

In other words, a random and independent search of banks by the then Inland Revenue uncovered an amount of interest paid to me from ‘Midland bank’. When they checked against my tax return they saw no Midland Bank interest declared and failed to note the amount involved was exactly the same amount I had declared coming from First Direct - which presumably they had no separate notice from with regard to interest, which should have been a clue. First Direct had replied to their random enquiry on Midland Bank headed note paper.

Of course, being very cunning, they never mentioned the name of the bank involved, or indeed what part of my return was apparently wrong. Which is how they work, in the hope you declare something new that they had missed.

Only after some hints my accountant managed to get out of them did I ask him to make clear to them that First Direct and Midland Bank were the same organisation. At no point did they make clear that everything was ok and left the threat of a ‘full and comprehensive review of your financial affairs’ hanging in the air. The latter message was left on my answerphone, appatrently they hired Vincent Price to leave it. I wish i had kept a recording.

As I am always meticuolus in my returns I knew they were wrong from the start, but after a few weeks even I started to question if I had some forgotten account somewhere paying a’significant amount’ of interest. By that time my accountant was 90% convinced I was hiding something from him, which pissed me off.

Anyway, once I had notified them about Midland Bank and its subsiduaries I never heard from them again except for standard notifications.

Everyday…

…we hear of more fishy goings-on:

Frog in a tree

Yet just on Friday ministers were issuing assurances that our fishing industry was part of our make-up as a sovereign island nation and that it would be given priority in all deals. When I heard that I thought it sounded like they were about to be thrown under the bus, as has been predicted all along.

When the minister had pointed out to him that fishing was less than 0.1% of GDP and the financial industry a hundred times bigger he said that it was huge to coastal communities and the finance industry was ‘big enough to look after itself’ so they would give away finance sector concessions in order to secure a better deal for fishing.

How does a sector ‘look after itself’ when the government is agreeing restrictions on the way you can do business? It sounded fishy to me. Even more so when the same guy insisted he ate cuttle fish on a regular basis when he was asked about the fact that most of Britain’s fishery wealth actually lay in species we don’t generally eat and which have to be exported to where there is a market - much of it France and Spain.

Everyday…

…well, perhaps its not everyday, that a major bank chooses to change its name as the Royal Bank of Scotland is planning to do when it rebrands as NatWest.

Perhaps they are concerned about Brexit-related break-up of the UK and did not want to be associated with a newly independent Scotland?

Cheers,

Frog in a tree