Menu
Close

LLOYDS is going to FLY

lse:lloy

Bulletin boards, matey. Bill boards are for advertising … hmm, given your recent comments perhaps this isn’t your dyslexia kicking in! In which case I’ll just take the opportunity that no amount of ramping by private investors on these boards will have any impact on the LLOY price.

That is what I think.
The rise could well be short lived.

I am net short. Could be wrong

soi

SOI
Net short at 6.5% return on Div in todays atmosphere …….Mmm?
However, you have called the SP on the money for ever ….but this is a tough one.
Salutations

Hi Eadwig,

IMO, there’s more to it than just the DRIP. All UK-centric stocks well up. For eg. my CNA & SBRY. Also banks like BARC. This seems more to do with the risks of No-Deal slightly diminishing. It could fall back, but today’s rise is in tandem with many other UK stocks.

FWIW, according to ii my DRIP option for LLOY will be activated within the next 2 business days. It’s not gone through yet. That may be similar for most ii clients. Note that ii are UK’s 2nd largest broker by far.

Catch all later as out until later afternoon. - Regards.

It is a high risk strategy for sure.
The yield/divi does not matter, I can go market neutral just prior to any ex D day, sometimes I do, other times not so.
I just think the spike is overdone.

As always, could be wrong

soi

JW
No deal slightly diminishing you say.
Thought Lloyds was priced correct either way…Again Mmm.
More for us to think about
Salutations

SOI
“Spike overdone.” Yes, could be.
But then we have the price that reflects long standing downturn and on the other hand we have the trend …albeit in great modesty by vague statements from IR.
Interesting to note Barc, & M.S. have LYG at 75.0. What do they know?
Respect your record.
Salutations

The increase in SP has very little to do with DRIP. Not even convinced it all happens on the same day and I expect many people use the dividend as income rather than reinvest.

The whole sector is up and up around the same price with the exception of HSBC and as I’ve already said BARC/HSBC can’t be compared with LLOY - there is a lot more with the former 2. I watch about 20 stocks across the exchanges and all are green except 1 yet the FTSE is down

There is every sign that the Johnson government have now been shown the true figures of a no Deal Brexit and are back-pedalling as fast as they can.

However, that doesn’t mean to say they may not have backed themselves into a corner. The economy is in big trouble if a No Deal happens despite HMG addressing some of the more obvious long term issues, like the £0.5Bn p.a. lost from the R&D sector that the EU poured into the UK making it the biggest R&D centre of Europe. That’s just the Horizon 2020 money HMG have today promised to replace (never counted in the net ‘costs’ of being an EU member, by the way).

If the economy is in big trouble, then the local banks are in big trouble, and Brexit with a deal is just the start of a minimum of 5 years uncertainty.

The withdrawal of the UK from Horizon2020 has already seen many cutting edge job losses in the companies that are supposed to be ensuring the future of UK PLC. The new policy of increasing immigration to fill the jobs in such companies is also another sign of realisation dawning, but it is way too late for many already.

Brexit is a huge negative for LLOY for the foreseeable future, but none of us yet know if we’re looking at 5 years or 15 years of uncertainty. Nor can we calculate the loss to the economy of the UK falling from the G7 economies along with loss of international respect.

I’ve been astounded by the number of investors on these boards that have welcomed this situation as a price worth paying for Brexit. Still, I can accept that some people may hold such views. What I can’t understand are those who have those views and then invest in a UK-centric bank (or other business wholly reliant on the UK economy).

It seems like madness to me.

Just think, if Brexit were cancelled tomorrow LLOY would probably put on 50%. in a day, returning to the price it was the day before the referendum campaign plus some with the end of PPI in sight.

That’s certainly something for you to think about, @rossx48, perhaps some others too.

EADWIG
Thank you…but ….BREXIT is secondary to our interest in the everyday Lloyds value and return.
We see Lloyds as having covered all its bases…and even more by looking into the future.
Most of us here are humble investors; SICK of the never ending Hacks getting red faced over politics
UK. a place that for all our misgivings is still home
Salutations

Will I ever get an answer to " who is we " ?

I think J_W was correct in calling you a loon.

Can you even say whether you have a holding or position in LLOY ?

How about being open ?

soi

Probably Ross… and the voices he hears in his head.

He certainly has an individual and rather eccentric style. Still, all views are welcome.

I’ll just try and explain one more time.

The value of a retail bank is generally entirely dependant on the economy within which it operates. For LLOY that is now almost entirely the UK after its purposeful downsizing.

The health of UK economy is almost entirely dependant on BREXIT and its outcome., as you have repeatedly been told over the last almost 3.5 years.

Therefore the value of LLOY and the outcome of BREXIT are closely linked. Separating the two in your own mind is bizarre in my opinion.

As for LLOY having covered all bases. How can they have as not one single person can predict all the bases? IF LLOY are very, very lucky, they may find that they have wasted a load of cash covering bases they didn’t need to.

More likely, within weeks of a No Deal Brexit we’ll see bases that LLOY haven’t covered - like outstanding loans to companies that announce they are ceasing business. There will be some of those, as even the Johnson government now admits.

Personally I predict specific hits such as the above and a general recessionary background in which retail banks just do not thrive.

Looks like we have finally broken the 54p barrier and it now appears to be holding. I’m predicting (and I should be selling but I won’t) that there will be some profit taking around 15:30 today - possibly back below 52p. Thoughts?

Ter
They speak with forked tongue.
And possibly with a slight" squeeze" on their powder horn.
Salutations

Well it looks like LLOY is flying for now along with other banks and housebuilders. This is puzzling because these sectors would be vulnerable to Brexit and recessionary factors. Nonetheless, my portfolio has recovered to very close to its highest ever balance albeit with a little help from reinvested income.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

Ter
And dancing with wolves that are galloping off in all directions.
Salutations

TER
Is it possible B & M.S are right in the 75.00 number?
Salutations.

Yes, but that has been largely priced in .

Now the government has clearly started to at least acknowledge some of the damage Brexit will do/has done and is promising to do something about with new policy changes every day, like replacing the EU’s massive funding of UK R&D (No idea where that money is coming from) and encouraging greater immigration (that will fund a lot of it).

It is like they have suddenly abandoned the Brexiteer rhetoric and started listening to the Remainers. The logical next step is to cancel Brexit - but that would be too sensible.

Even so, the markets look to have started to believe that No Deal is now off the table and therefore a lot of the potential damage, for which they have been allowing, might now be lessened.

This in turn means GBP has strengthened, which in turn means UK-centric companies are more favoured. This can be summed up by …

GBP = 1.245 USD and 1.12 Euro
FTSE 100 +0.4%
FTSE 250 +1.1%

… so - while still heading for disaster, the markets believe a lot of that is already priced in. Hence the recent revival over the last few days, coming from a low base. The market has a very short term memory these days though …

Also, I’m afraid that a lot of these U-turns will simply turn out to be quid pro quos with ‘rebel’ Tories (who are simply living up to their duty to protect ALL of their constituents so far as possible), to get them back on board. Many of the promises that require funding may never come to anything.

The real test for me is if they will eventually include freedom of movement within a Brexit deal. I think they have to - how else do you solve the Irish problem?

That would be a Norway style solution. We can pay the EU for market access AND re-build a new whaling fleet to provide employment for the millions of disaffected Brexit Party voters. The UK would also get the right to pursue new, individual trade deals so it can trumpet ‘taking back control’.

Perhaps not. Anyway, that is my take on why the UK-centric stocks are doing better. Also, the sacking of Adam Bolton just possibly underlines that Trump has recognised that he can’t win any more votes by going even further right. Johnson and friends will take note as they are using his play book.