Where is SOI? Flying up 11%!
I suspect he is probably a bit busy trading !. Days like this must be manna from heaven for him…
Hi Again @Eadwig, BP & Shell not participating in todays rally, both down 1-2% even though oil is up today. Presumably suffering from having USD based earnings… At some point I might well consider buying some more of these, both have 6.5% yields and are safe dividend payers.
GBP seems to be stabilising around 1.2640, US open in a minute so see what happens then.
Got one of my grandsons coming round after school today so I wont be seeing the close. Not planning to do anything anyway. Too easy to make an expensive mistake.
@PrefInvestor1, yes no question about it.
I too have bought some RDSB recently (@2250p) as a first step of a planned move into high yielders to see me through a downturn. No dividend cut since 1945. Hard to argue against.
Point taken Jack
I just sold my BDEV 651p and also booked 36.8p Final-Special Dividend to be paid 5th November
Finally a WINNER !!
Well done! Cracking trade with the dividend to boot & I’m very pleased for you. LLOY to come good later on, despite more setbacks quite possible.
Not so much “finally a WINNER” as you’ve had VG success before in markets. But as we know, some buys take much longer to come good than others. - All the best!
Currently in Italy
Tomorrow in the UK
Day after in Thailand
Yep, LLOY is flying
Honestly before kick off, I was going to be happy to see 55p today
59p Blimey come on
I am going to need a beer later
regardless is smiling like a Cheshire Cat
Just topped the daughters LISA up with £1300s worth. Good little earner and a bit of variation to her portfolio. I love these LISA’s. Wish I’d of had one as a saver.
Good to see the tables have turned for you regardless, great day, I’m sure the beer will taste wonderful tonight:)
Hi @swamp_rat, Well there are plenty of quality stocks that did NOT participate in today’s rally eg DGE, ULVR, GSK and AZN to name but a few. All have significant foreign earnings I guess so hurt by the rapid rise in the GBP.
Definitely been a good day to be holding single stocks, provided that you had the right ones… I counted about 30 stocks that were down, some by quite a bit, including Shell and BP obviously.
Hope your daughters LISA is doing well. TSLA back up to $250 I see, so that will be good for her. I hate those US stocks though, GBP up must be ~4% in the last few days. Big headwind when you are holding things denominated in USD…
Pull back is for the weekend risk averse crew regardless, what do you think will be happening monday if it’s a good progress weekend.
Probably the “Lifetime ISA”. These seem quite attractive for those aged at least 18 to under 40. Details linked. - Regards.
thanks, JD. I’m too old, daughter too young, so no interest in LISA from me
Yes it was a LISA, great saving machine. I find it fun gambling with her money, she’s saving £4k a year and receiving £1k government bonus. She doing well, £10k saved almost after 2 years and she’s not even 20yrs old on minimum wage.
If I can pick some good dividend payers to re-invest and some steady risers, I guess she will have the house deposit in 10 yrs
I have my almost-six-year-olds £5k savings in a JISA earning 3%. I’m waiting for the big market crash we are (over) due and then will transfer into stocks for her. Maybe by the time she’s 18 I can cover a year at college for her …
Great idea, I agree a correction is inevitable and you have a good plan. I’m hoping that I am not caught offside with my trading that day. Hopefully us ii users spot the signs earlier.
Saying that, the signs are forming aren’t they.
Hi All, Well after today’s huge rally I confess that I have been wondering where we go from here. Today has been a really great day for anyone invested in sectors that have been unloved for a very long time now, notably UK Banks and Property of any form (housebuilders and REITS in particular) while things that have foreign earnings and have previously prospered have been punished. The GBP has soared about 3.5% against the USD and the EUR in the last few days so any overseas investments have taken a bit of a hit, even though those markets have actually been up in general – in fact some quite strongly.
Thinking about any brexit deal, while I personally would be delighted if whatever BJ has planned came off and all of the uncertainty of the last 3 years was ended, I just can’t see it. Even if the EU dont scupper the deal then the numerous factions in Parliament seem to me to be almost certain to do so. I just can’t see it happening, even though I would REALLY like it to. The coming week will be critical, we should know by the end of it if there is a deal that the EU will go with and on Saturday we will see if Parliament will agree to it without further delays or referenda. My guess is not and we will head off into a General Election and maybe a second referendum and more uncertainty. But I suppose if BJ does come up with a deal at least he might be championing that rather than a No Deal brexit ?.
So what does this mean investment-wise ?. My personal views are as follows:-
- That the current rally in unloved shares may continue next week (or not) and the GBP continue to rise perhaps, but if no brexit deal is agreed next week then it could all unwind VERY quickly. So selling or setting a stop loss on any really significant gains might be a good idea just in case they slip away. However if a brexit deal IS done next week then at least some more of what we have seen today is likely and correct market positioning will be important – noting that today some things have done very well and others pretty badly.
- Personally I should think about perhaps reducing some of my overseas exposure just in case the GBP returns to 1.30 – 1.40. If that should happen then I might be looking at a 3-4% loss on my portfolio which I would prefer to avoid.
As always I could be totally wrong and what I have described cannot in any way be guaranteed to come to pass. But as usual I think that it pays to be prepared and have some form of plan.
I would be interested to hear the views of others on this subject. But I would be obliged if we can keep responses to be investment strategy focussed, as I would not want the topic to disintegrate into a brexit wars type discussion.
it’d be nice if you can time it, but I look on them as a hedge against most of my assets which are priced in GBP or property in UK.
So if GBP rises to those levels - or even higher if article 50 is revoked - then the loss in my portfolio will be as nothing compared to my overall wealth having risen by 5% or 15% respectively.
Like many people you seem to be overlooking the fact that if a deal is done, it is just a start to the uncertainty. It is a basis to start discussing future trade deals but that wont happen straight away because almost certainly it will be the starting gun for a general election with a Labour-led government potentially starting a programme of nationalisation and a policy to have all major companies give 10% of their stock to workers.
Then, once the election is over we can settle down to 5-15 years of trade negotiations and independence referendums followed by negotiations on breaking up the Union.
Or we could revoke article 50 and have done with this nonsense and we will all get much richer over night.