Menu
Close

LLOYDS is going to FLY

lse:lloy

See you both are just talking up next the trade to get in at a cheaper price

Hahahahah

@regardless
Tee hee… if only.

As if any comment on a discussion board amongst private investors could have the slightest impact on the SP of a £40bn market cap company. Volumes look relatively low but still way out of my league!

Regards,
ITDYA

Yes, I noticed some of the house builders well up last few days.
I haven’t looked but are banks now approving more mortgages? Has something altered?
Or is this just the remainder of the Election spike playing out?
I’m now very cautious on any UK shares directly impacted by state of UK economy.

Personally, I’m not too interested in trading every day and I just position my portfolio to be diversified according to quotas in sectors I set periodically so I’m more interested in trends than volatility over days.
I think those markets I mentioned still have some way to go upwards… similarly, I see no reason not to use VUSA over next few weeks to months up to Election (at least) to catch the (probable) last increase in US market.

:point_down:t6::point_down:t6::point_down:t6:

As well as

Thanks Trisco.

Reading those articles, it all seems Election-related and that effect can only last so long.
Was looking to see if there’s any chance of these stocks rising further but as we are approaching highs not seen since before the financial crisis and well exceeding pre-2016 levels then I’d more be looking to short these in a few weeks than go long.

BDEV

TW

Crikey, does goes to show how cheap Lloyds Shares

All I know I 1st bought Lloyds in May 2009 at 72p
today 57p 11 years later .

We need a break here

Our time will come , every unloved Dog has its day :slight_smile: surely ???

The funny thing is I somehow done alright on the original investment

Down the local clubhouse to meet up with a few Southend ole boys for a beer and just realised Lloyd’s ended the day up

Hahahaha

Hi Again @J_Westlock, Did this chart comparing the FTSE 100 & VUKE with the FTSE 250 & VMID earlier.

Both spiked after the election and the FTSE 100 has stayed up but the FTSE 250 has fallen back. Strange as I thought it was the FTSE 250 stocks people were saying would benefit the most…?

As I said earlier the effects in the FTSE 100 seem very sector specific with outperformance in one area being compensated for by falls in other areas (leaving the FTSE 100 pretty much unchanged). So as I suspected ATM one is better off stock picking than betting on a UK index - well provided you pick the right stocks that is. My NG (utility) & RGL (REIT) are both doing OK.

I shall continue to follow your ETF picks for a while to see how they do, potentially interested in HRUB. Yes I can see that VUSA till the election sounds like a plan.

I dont want to trade every day either - and I’m not. But I still have some cash on hand and I like to be fully invested so am keen to find a home for it. But a defensive home and one that pays some dividends ideally.

ATB

Pref

Yes, interesting. Have you mapped the impact of GBPUSD or GBPEUR onto the FTSE 100 performance too YTD?

Not going to trade my 565,000 Lloyd’s shares

Played a blinder in 2019 IMHO

So happy

End of year dividend paid in May this year and 1st quarterly paid in June 2020

Buster my beautiful Parrot says stay firm lad

I noticed that some of the Renewables are heading a little downwards the last week or so eg. FSFL, NESF & TRIG

Any reason for that?

Yep… well there was a disastrous Q4 2018 dip so it flatters the 2019 calendar year increase somewhat… if you compare mid-Jan to mid-Jan then you’re back at the price you started at.

I just tried mapping that and there (still) does seem a good correlation to the $ rate and FTSE100 which might also explain some of the FTSE100 increase as almost a 1-2% drop in GBPUSD since beginning of year.

What I do know

Lloyd’s is cheap as chips

And I am a thicko investor

If I had half a brain hey

Turned 2500 Lloyd’s shares in 2009 to loads black horse dogs of war

Dog of a share

Well you were clever enough not to invest in Bombardier.

Never be greedy I say

I am happy

Natural born winner

Hi Again @J_Westlock, Well I added those two currency rates to my previous chart and yes they both show about a 2% drop in the GBP vs both the USD and the EUR since 13-Dec. (Sorry I’d post the chart but on the iPad that’s not so easy, but you have your own chart anyway.) But the FTSE 100 is up about 4%. GBP moving higher against both right now up about 0.3% ATM doesn’t bode well for the FTSE tomorrow methinks ?.

Re renewables, yes TRIGs down a bit and a couple of the others have dropped a few pence. Nothing major. BSIF up to 144.5 some compensation. UKW has dropped back from over 150 which I never thought would hold, sold mine at ~149 and bought more NESF a while back. ORIT closing in on your 10% gain, you’ll have to make your mind up soon whether to hold or not…

All those ETFs of yours look to be up today and VUSA too I’m sure given US markets today. I am slightly regretting selling my VWRL and VHYL but I did think that DT had likely gone too far with his Iraq attack. But no plans to buy them back and am putting the cash to work elsewhere.

ATB

Pref

Hi @regardless, Yes those two dividends should add up to close to 3p a share if things go as expected and there are no nasty dividend surprises, personally not expecting any but that’s no guarantee. With your mega holding that comes to around £17,000 – I just hope it’s all in ISAs or the tax man is going to take his share, even if you aren’t working. :slightly_frowning_face:

While you have built a large holding, as I recall you did buy them all from income when you were working – so it’s your savings pot really, and a nice one it is too. But if as I suspect your average is still over 60 with these recent falls you are probably back underwater again now ?. Only paper losses though as they say.

So back to the waiting game for you, but you are good at that. Better than me. I think LLOY will come good at some point, just not sure exactly when that will be. But you are being paid to wait. I thought (hoped) LLOY might turn more positive given what happened after the election. But it seems that it is still suffering the effects of Brexit and from being seen as the barometer of the UK economy. On recent performance seems you could be waiting a while yet.

Best of luck, as always

Pref

Hi @Eadwig, Well I am probably mad but I’m having another go at US direct investing. Having watched Microsoft go up up and up and then further up for years on end (all the while telling myself one day I should buy some) well I did a little while ago, and so far they have performed as described. I bought at 152.x and yesterday they closed at 166.x and I was up close to 6% even including FX charges on both buying and selling in that calculation. They have a great diverse product base and ecosystem and the recent JEDI and DOD Office contracts wont do them any harm either.

Looking for more of the same I bought a few Apple shares the other day (also considered Mastercard another stock which looking back seems to just have a stock price that only goes one way – famous last words). But I went for Apple given their highly profitable ecosystem, likely benefits from the China trade deal and 5G refresh cycle this year (amongst other things).

I know Facebook is one of your favourites, but I have failed to make a profit twice before there and have a thing about revisiting old failures. Stocks like Google and Amazon are simply too expensive and I’d only be prepared to buy a really small number.

Anyway it’s a bit of a distraction from my normal fare. Results for both Apple & Microsoft due on 28th & 29th and hoping for a bounce in both.

Hope you are well. AFC Energy up nicely today I see….

ATB

Pref

Hi Pref,

All my pharmas up over 2% today except Smith & Nephew up only a measly 1.2%.

I suppose these increases are a positive reaction to the news on the Chinese economy which appears not to have been too seriously damaged by tariffs.

My portfolio is approaching its all time high.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree