Menu
Close

LLOYDS is going to FLY

lse:lloy

Soul Man

Is the Thailand Sex God :wink:

Thought i saw him last weekend. Big sign on his back down sukhumvit (free)

Go to korat Soi. Not a tourist spot. You’ll be a mangod.

Hi

I am in naklua ( outer pattaya )

pattaya the so called "Extreme City "

It is losing it s appeal rapidly.
Off to Italy for a few months at the end of next week.

ATB

soi

Love the sea view from the hillside there.

Welcome, would be happy to have a beer with you, whether it is in London or Thailand

ATB

soi

Look forward to it. Bring your iPad and let’s short everything that was bought on the forum that day. And we will have a two day party

Last time I was in Pattaya there was only one small hotel and an empty beach, was about 30 years ago. I here it’s gone downhill

I “invest” for income greater than bank interest. So I have held some shares for many years as they have paid increasing dividends. That is one definition of investor who is not a trader. (I am not good at forecasting capital gains and prefer not to rely on these to top up my pension.) I understand “opportunity cost” but am relaxed about it.

I also “invest” in some companies I am simply interested in, as LK Hyman seemed to be with RDSB and other shares (e.g. ULVR). I have a small investment in AXS. I just like the idea of treating softwood to create wood that lasts for 60 years or more. My money is being used to build new plants around the world. I find it fascinating to follow the progress of this company. This too seems to be “investing” rather than trading. I have a capital gain of 98% but no dividend income yet.

We are not all traders! I think.

plm

Well isnt that an issue? Most income funds must forecast capital gains. Not much point in getting 6% dividend per year…SP suddenly falls 80% (like in 2008 to many) and dividend slashed to zero for a decade.

Great if its worked out for you… But capital growth is a primary search to credible income funds. They wont invest if they don’t see capital growth potential. At the very minimum, during the loading process. And hope price stays above capital input for a few div years.

Not saying your approach is incorrect. But if I was investing in an income fund and they said 'we have no regard for your capital. Just stated div returns…I’d chance Woodford lol.

The best investor I ever knew said this to me :

Perfection is :

“A trader with investor skills. And an investor with trading skills”

I agree. Perfection is probably a hybrid today.

However I won’t argue the point. Many people like to call themselves investors as it sounds better in the local eatery . I’ve personally no issues calling a spade a spade.

No. It’s not investing. Your trading your cash . The company ‘invests’. Not you. You just hope they get it right so your trade profits from their investment decisions.

Btw some decent capital return choices you made there if you traded at the right time lol

@jackdawsson

Well just broke that golden rule for indices. 7330 Held short for weekend. I just can’t let it go.

Best ftse week in four months. Biggish day today. Near Vertical 5 day rise. Will get slight retrace anyway but analysis suggests big money exiting whilst price not dropping the high . All adds up to a favourite short in stocks alright but weekend throws a curve ball here.

Either the smart money expects some ftse dropping news over the weekend, or I’m in for a rule breaking loss. Wish it was Thursday. That decision would have been a lot easier lol.

That’s your committee telling you what to do.

Yes. But my ten year old committee are so irrational, they normally fit with market norms loool

http;//youtu.be/Zje91xTd6Lc

I imagine a few here would then invest in space rocks.

Hi @Armageddon, I cant agree with your assertion that we are all traders, not in the commonly accepted meaning of those terms anyway. You have redefined them somewhat to support your argument I think !.

Investopedia says the following about traders and investors:

A trader is an individual who engages in the buying and selling of financial assets in any financial market, either for himself or on behalf of another person or institution. The main difference between a trader and an investor is the duration for which the person holds the asset. Investors tend to have a longer-term time horizon, while traders tend to hold assets for shorter periods of time to capitalize on short-term trends.

An investor is any person or other entity (such as a firm or mutual fund) who commits capital with the expectation of receiving financial returns. Investors utilize investments in order to grow their money and/or provide an income during retirement, such as with an annuity. An investor puts capital to use for long-term gain, while a trader seeks to generate short-term profits by buying and selling securities over and over again.

By those definitions I am most certainly an investor and not a trader.

ATB

Pref

Don’t let anyone else define things for you pref. Define your own world

So if you wish to be defined as an investor, so be it.

For me, I’ve held companies years at times. But never as an investment in the company. I dont know much about any company really. So couldn’t call it an investment when I dont even know what they do half the time. It was a long term trade. Price speculation.

Its not your money unless you were actually in on the IPO(s).
Everything after that is traders (or investors) speculating on returns, not one penny of which goes to the company.

Just thought I’d make that point. It is one that gets overlooked all too often it seems to me.

Very true. After the IPO, the only relevance of SP to the board, are bonuses