Menu
Close

LLOYDS is going to FLY

lse:lloy

Good to hear from you again TJ. Any trips planned for France this year?

Personally not sure about the flavour of newsprint. If I remember rightly itvwas only the outer wrapping that was printed paper and unprinted was used in contact with the chips?

Frog in a tree

Not syre if that is meant as a compliment or as an insult…

I am pretty sure that everything then was cooked in oil much as they are today.

I agree that my taste buds were probably in much better condition then than they are today almost 70 years later but as to the grey matter you refer to how can that change things? I would like to think that I am certainly older and somewhat wiser than I was as a kid in those far off days.

TJ

Hi there Frog,

Good to hear from you also.

Actually I have been promised by my younger daughter that I can take my grandson to the Somme for his first visit there during his Easter holidays.
We will stay in Albert for four days and I plan to take him around as much as we can reasonably expect in that time, Thiepval, Lochnagar & Hawthorn Craters, Newfounfdland Park, Devonshire cemetery, Delville Wood and whatever can be fitted in without overdoing things.

We went to see the film 1917 together three weeks ago so we will also take a day to look at the supposed setting of part of the film, the village of Ecoust St Mein and towards Croisilles. I told him that there was no river around there and certainly no waterfall to fall down. The nearest canal and lock gates would have been the Canal du Nord which was about 10 miles further on past the Hindenburg Line fortifications .
On the way back to Dover I will take him to Vimy Ridge so he can understand a little of the struggle by the French and then the Canadians to take Vimy Ridge and to see the views from the top over what was German held positions towards Douai, Lille and the double crassier at Lens .

I will report back to you after the visit.

Best regards

TJ

Good to hear that you are still taking an interest and able to travel. Those fish and chips certainly didn’t do you any harm. Regarding oil or dripping, it is a north south divide with the south favouring oil.

Last year I took my own grandson to France and showed him the numerous sites where the retreating Germans murdered young French men and boys of his own age in March 1944. We must remember.

Also, I thought that the Windermere children drama on BBC was very moving. Did you see it?

Cheers,

Frog

Interesting to note that not all Chinese companies, sectors, ETFs or Funds are down today.

The ETFs that track the MSCI China A Inclusion are down… the ones that track the MSCI China are up.

On a quick look, the difference appears to be in the Consumer Discretionary and Communication Services sectors where they have more such companies in the MSCI China index… eg. Tencent and Alibaba are up today.

@J_Westlock

Multiples were 43.2x and 41 .4x. Both would have been payable at 60, RPI linked, guaranteed full for 5 years for spouse, 50% thereafter. Pretty much gold dust although one did have a claw back once the state pension kicked in (67 for me). But it did have to be a ‘proper spouse’ - married or formal civil partnership; just paper so my son would be the obvious one but they don’t allow that!

Me, ‘compromised’ life according to actuaries; ex-smoker, diabetic, history of heart disease on male side of the family.

Come on. A multiple of 40 even if index liked means 2.5% to me, plus let’s assume HMG can keep RPI to 2 to 2.5% (big if I know but there was a 5% cap on the linking anyway) say 4.5% to 5% is what I need to achieve. 2.5% income plus the rest as growth to cover the inflation. Doesn’t die with me, can nominate who I choose as the beneficiary, no IHT… that’s a walk in the park for me, definitely do not have to learn how to walk on water to do that!

No brainer, get it done! The SIPP is already there so tiny to no extra cost once it’s sorted.

Regards,
ITDYA

Hi again Frog,

Yes indeed, I found the Windemere Children thoroughly absorbing and it had me close to tears at times.

I have recorded it so that my grandson mught be able to watch it with me if we have the possibility.

As you say we must remember and if possible teach the young about the horrors of both World Wars, we must not forget as the recent Holocaust remembrance events said that there are very few survivors left now and it is perhaps our duty to younger generations to try and explain it to them.

I freely admit that I have never had the courage to visit a concentration camp, I have driven past the gates of Dachau on numerous occasions and never even had the courage to slow down, but I have now thought that it might be a good thing if I could take my grandchildren and at least one of their parents on a trip perhaps to Auschwitz so that they could see the horror of these places for themselves.

I think I told you that I took my grandchildren to the Imperial War Museum a few years ago and we went to the room where they had a model of Auschwitz and tried to explain some of the things to them. There were many people there including groups of Jewish children with their teachers gently explaining it all to their charges. I don’t mind admitting, to the surprise of my grandchildren, I was blubbing the whole time I was in there.

Best regards

TJ

No shame in tears, only shame in having no shame!

I too saw 1917 and thought it a wonderful movie. It well deserved its BAFTA awards.

Cheers,

Frog

QUESTION

Why are house builders up 50% over 12 month period

Are they not also Key UK Economy facing companies ?

One of my forebears was at Vimy Ridge with a Canadian Battlaion from Manitoba. He survived the war and here I am.

Two others were killed: one (the brother of the above) at the battle of Aisne and the other at Ypres. The former was a professional soldier aged 30 the latter a volunteer aged 20.

Obviously I am interested in that period in particular because of the connection. But this is the last generation that will claw back that far or even to World War 2. A chap I know took his two young grandsons to the battlefields of Normandy last year. I’d wager however that they would rather have been at Paris Disneyland. For them a war 75 years ago probably has as much resonance as does the Crimean War to us. If you stopped anyone on the street today under 50 they would have virtually no accurate knowledge of either of those two world wars. And that is the brutal truth.

IMHO,

SBK

P.S. Frog is right about lard being a northern thing - until quite recent times. Chips were served on greaseproof paper and carried in newspapers. No company or customer would dare to use newspapers for their these days for fear of them having being read previously by people who did not wash their hands. Its a fear of being sued which killed of such practices. Similarly, the hygienic wrapping of kippers was an industry initiative - nothing to do with EU rules as invented by Liar Johnson.

Ride the Property cycle while you can… since the financial crash we’ve had continued record low interest rates; at the moment you still have great demand and a supply that’s constrained.
That won’t last forever.

Yeah I wish I held onto my Barratt Developments Plc shares now

The Market is tricky to read these days , all ( 100% ) my shares in portfolio are now paying a near 6% to 16.5% yield, so I going to pick dividends up for the next 12 month or so

Not going to try and trade on these low valuations

That’s my opinion anyway

So I got no choice but to batten down hatches

Actually that’s a good point Regardless. As JW says interest rates are at an historical low and demand for homes is outstripping supply. This is mainly due to people living longer and not vacating their houses, plus divorces and people moving to the South and South East for jobs. There is massive building going on in the Oxford - Cambridge corridor for example.

I expect that outside of the great Northern cities, however, those Basket case Brexit towns north of Birmingham will soon be full of demolition teams clearing the way for more vegetable allotments.

IMHO,

SBK

Using Regular Investment facility, I will be opening a position in Persimmon this month. They have had their fair share of scandals including build quality and CEO pay but results are good and the yield is over 7% with no obvious risk of collapse.

BDEV and TW have done well for me over the last 10 years.

I might add that with a Tory government installed for years ahead there is likely to be a continuing shortage of housing due to their reluctance to build social housing. People are talking about the TV licence fee being a tax but they rather overlook the fact that the excessive costs of housing is very much also a tax on living. As a shareholder I am, of course, a taxman in this affair. I would be happier if the housing shortage was eliminated even if it reduced my dividend income.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

I’m glad that you mentioned that TJ. I have visited Dachau and it was a sobering experience. It was the first concentration camp, opened in 1933. There were numerous such camps scattered across Germany besides the large extermination focused ones in Poland. They were situated close to population centres as is Dachau, a few miles outside Munich. Belsen - Bergen and Ravensbruck were two other examples where mass killings, starvation and torture were carried out within Germany proper.

Yet there are still people who deny that the majority of German people did not know what was going on! Of course they did and many would have not cared, brainwashed as they were, especially during the war years and only a small, brave minority opposed the actions of the brutal, Nazi totalitarian regime.

The following generation of Germans did learn the lessons of their self - destructive past. But today, even in the west, we are surrounded by voices which echo the evil doctrines of those dark, nationalistic days.

IMHO,

SBK

SBK,

Not so. My fixed view based on various objective sources is that there is no incontrovertible proof of the scale of German civilian knowledge of the “exterminations” & that twisters of the truth, like you, have no foundation to go around claiming so. At least not without losing all credibility. That’s quite different from what you impute to those like me.

Below, yet another documentary snippet that goes against your contemptible certitude & arrogant judgement of the facts around this aspect. - GL.

“Historians Eric Johnson and Karl-Heinz Reuband conducted interviews with more than 3,000 Germans and 500 German Jews about daily life in the Third Reich.

Concerning the mass murder of the Jews, the survey results were contingent to some degree on geography, but roughly 27–29% of Germans had information about the Holocaust at some point before the war’s end, and another 10–13% suspected something terrible was happening all along. Based on this information, Johnson and Reuband surmise that one-in-three Germans either heard or knew that the Holocaust was taking place before the end of the war from sources which included family members, friends, neighbours or professional colleagues.[45] Johnson suggests (in disagreement with his co-author) that it is more likely that about 50% of the German population were aware of the atrocities being committed against the Jewish people and other enemies identified by the Nazi regime.”[46]

Hi Jack,

Without wanting to go over this ground again, even on the basis of the sources you quote it is clear that 30 to 50% had a good idea of what was being done in their name and were prepared to admit it. It is also quite likely that a good percentage were not prepared to admit their knowledge either from shame or because they believed that the elimination of the jews was in the national interest.

There is a lot of research evidence that knowledge of the atrocities was widely known. I accept that the sources differ in their conclusions.

Frog in a tree

Hi Fiat,

Thanks. If you re-read some of my views, I’ve taken more of a neutral stance on the scale of German civilian knowledge, mindful of the strict controls on all media throughout that era & Nazi attempts to sanitise their horrendous crimes. Pertinently, these historians also disagree on the percentages of those who definitely knew, despite both doing considerable research.

So what is SBK’s claimed majority? That 95% definitely knew? That 90% did? That 75% knew? His arrogant judgement of the majority of the German civilian population of that era seems all too akin to those he would rightly condemn to be Nazi appeasers.

As I’ve mentioned before, many German civilians still believed they were winning the war very late on, even though German soldiers on leave gave decidedly more pessimistic accounts based on reality. It was a terrible, dark period for humanity. Many ordinary people were brainwashed & deluded on so many levels.

What happened in those extermination camps & throughout Eastern Europe, where many mass executions of civilians also happened outside the camps, is still difficult for some people to fully absorb as the ideologies that tried to justify them were nothing short of the worst insanity imaginable. - Regards.

Edit: Comment was posted twice due to having online issues. The 2nd now withdrawn.

Bang on right Frog. I fail to see the logic in denying the obvious. As I have said before, I have travelled extensively in Germany and shared houses with German friends. I have never met a German who pretended that their wartime generation was ignorant of the atrocities carried out by their regime before or during the war.

IMHO,

SBK

As is mostly the case Jack, I agree with most of your post. Even on the figures you quote, up to a half of wartime Germans admitted to some awareness of what had been done in their names. A “majority” simply means more that 50% of course. Neither SBK nor myself have claimed that nearly all Germans would have known precisely what had been going on.

To widen it out a bit, knowledge of what had been going on would also have been known to a majority of Poles and very many other nationalities including Croatia, Ukraine because of the location of camps and because many of those involved in the killing were from those countries. It is also very clear that the Allies had good knowledge of what was happening from an early point.

Frog in a tree