Menu
Close

LLOYDS is going to FLY

lse:lloy

They actually had a piece of clean, special paper on which the chops were placed. the newspapers were just an insulator to keep them warm.

If we ever really ate fish and chips off newspapers they’d have been covered in newsprint.

But yeah, they did taste better that way, instead of in some awful styrofoam rubbish.

Big market DC bounce IMO, based on froth of imminent Trump “acquittal”. Will be back into the China syndrome soon. I’m confidently short on the FTSE 100 and patiently waiting for sub 55P Lloyds.

IMHO,

SBK

ITDYA,

Thanks for that correction - I missed out the . in between the 8s.

As you know I’d never spin data to bolster one of my arguments…

But I’ll raise you another 3 examples of UK facing stock prices which have suffered since the Referendum:

Associated British Foods - 6.5%

Direct Line - 8.5%

Aviva - 8.7%

Companies which are based in London but have little to do with the UK are doing just dandy by and large. And that is the point.

IMHO,

SBK

You have to laugh at that. You make the sweeping statement that the only reason for the -ve prices is purely down to the referendum. That is spin in itself.

In the 3 or so years are you saying there are no other factors other than the referendum that have affected the share price? That is bending the truth to fit a headline. I know that Direct Line in going through internal re-organisation and it has been doing this well before the referendum. The SP was around 345 at June 2016 and is now 342 and it has peaked well above the 345 between then and now as shares generally go up and down in cycles.

Not everything is down to Brexit.

Indeed on an individual company basis but there is little point in looking for exceptions to the rule. The trend has been clear: UK facing stocks are up against it, exemplified by the bellweather Lloyds - down 20% + since the Referendum. UK economic growth has stagnated and worse is to come.

IMHO,

SBK

Assuming Brexit vote was 23/06/2016.

The Google graph only breaks the price down to week ending dates. The big drop started back end of May and before the vote. A result that very few thought was possible. Since then it has bounced around. It has had issues such as PPI and various other scandals holding it back. Not just Brexit.

But PPI is over, the wonderful Brexit freedom has arrived and its still in the dog house. Go figure.

IMHO,

SBK

Hi Jack,

In relation to your post, above, have you seen the film “A Hidden Life” (showing now) which tells the story of Franz Jägerstätter who was an Austrian farmer who became a conscientious objector during WW2. It is well worth seeing.

He was unsupported by the church and vilified by his neighbours even for some years after the war. He was later beatified.

Cheers,

Frog in a tree

The Banks are still recovering from PPI and we only exited the EU last week. Were you expecting an immediate rise in SP?

Banks have never recovered from the Banking crash way back when. They have had to reposition themselves due to new regulations. The move in technology i.e web and mobile phone is killing their IT systems and as we use the banks more than we ever have (I check my balance/transactions at least once a day as I can). Because we are connected we notice outages and they have to report them nowadays. The reason I bought into LLOY over the others is that I think it is one of the most efficient and they are spending £1Bn+ on moving their IT to Cloud to make them more reliable. There is also a historical reason as TSB (was once part of LLOY) was my very first investment. I’m in profit with LLOY over the last 3-4 years.
Can’t blame everything on Brexit otherwise we ignore the actual issues and things don’t improve. Clearly, Brexit hasn’t helped.

Yes, a blip of meaningless euphoria. We were told that a wall of money would hit the UK as soon as the shackles of the EU were thrown off, time and again.

The market isn’t stupid though.

IMHO,

SBK

I do not agree. I have loads of bank accounts. RBS are far more efficient than Lloyds. But both are way behind the challenger banks for every day banking and my favourite is Starling by a country mile. Lloyds is an old nag. As for TSB and sentiment that is all bunk.

IMHO,

SBK

Agree :joy:

There are some indicators somewhere that says LLOY is the efficient one from a cost perspective.

Correct

Hi Fiat,

Thanks for the heads-up. Interesting & looks like the sort of film I’d definitely watch. Even from far off from those darkest of times, as we are, one can only admire the courage of those like Franz Jägerstäter. I’ll make a note of it.

By the by, one of the best films I’ve seen in a very long time was this recent German-French film, “Frantz”. IMO, a poetic masterpiece based around the real human impact of war, including on family & friends of those killed. In this case WW1. I won’t give away the plot, but it’s set in post-WW1 Germany.

The 2 protagonists are played by young actors Paula Beer & Pierre Niney, both new to me & quite outstanding, as is the sensitive work of director Francois Ozon. I rarely give 10 out of 10 for a movie. This is one of those exceptions. Well worth watching! - Regards.

PS: There’s a UK release, too. - Typo corrected.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have ordered a copy of “Frantz”

Cheers,

Frog

Jack,

I saw that film. Very good. Nice to have one with a proper story for a change rather than shoot 'em up car chases.

Pretty much the only TV I watch these days is on the "Talking Pictures " channel which has several old British TV series which actually have plot lines and decent actors. Though I’ll also watch documentaries on any channel, especially about WW 2…

IMHO,

SBK

Dad’s Army and It Ain’t Half Hot Mum on your viewing list, eh, Buns?

Frog

No you smart - arsed amphibian! “Special Branch”, “Gideon’s Way”, “Rumpole of the Bailey”, “The Human Jungle” and “Hazel” currently. All excellent in different ways, in spite of low production values.

In each of the above there were surprisingly progressive motifs in their stories portrayed by proper actors such as the top class Herbert Lom in “The Human Jungle” (as a psychiatrist). Well recommended.

IMHO,

SBK

SBK,

Indeed. I thought it excelled on so many deeper levels, with some brilliant camera work with timely, affecting changes from black ’n’ white to colour. All without resorting to the usual vacuous nonsense we might expect from an American version. A film I’ll no doubt watch again.

By the by: I have a pet hate that you touch upon in your comment. I seriously can’t stand most American films, with obvious exceptions. There’s just too much gratuitous violence & sex for me that adds nothing of value whatsoever, but tries to cover up inevitable shortcomings in script, stereotyped characters & often wooden acting. IMO, they’re poison for the brain.

Give me Bresson, Herzog, Fassbinder, Truffaut, Rohmer, Godard & many more modern European directors any day. - Regards.

Warning! I expect the anti - liberal elite police will be along any minute now!

IMHO,

SBK

Hi Frog,

I am taking the liberty of thinking that your post might be directed towards me rather than Jack Dawson.

I was unaware of the film and I cannot recall coming across the name of Franz Jagerstatter either.

I will certainly read the article later and see what else I can find on him.

A quick glance shows me that the film is on at a few London cinemas but I will have to wait until I find it on a cinema near me or wait until television gets around to showing it.

Best regards

TJ