Menu
Close

LME Nickel Stocks

lse:amc

https://stockhead.com.au/resources/nickel-rich-batteries-are-here-but-wheres-the-nickel-going-to-come-from/

https://www.metalbulletin.com/Article/3873052/Latest-news/LIVE-FUTURES-REPORT-0905-SHFE-nickel-price-drops-1-while-trade-concerns-continue-to-cloud-sentiment.html

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that China “broke the deal” it had reached in trade talks with the United States, and vowed not to back down on imposing new tariffs on Chinese imports unless Beijing “stops cheating our workers.”

The looming trade war between China and America doesn’t seem to be having a negative impact on demand for class 1 nickel. So far this week 2,466 tonnes of class 1 nickel has left the LME and that’s a 4 day week due to the May Day bank holiday with one day, Friday, still left to report.

The live warrant total should drop below 100,000 tonnes before the end of this month.

TDT :sunglasses:

We should not forget that during the cultural revolution, Xi Jinping’s own father and himself were humiliated and Xi Jinping re-educated.
Xi made an oath, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is more important than his family.
Blackmail does not work with China, it is an ancient people whose history should be studied by all.
Interesting times ahead

https://www.metalbulletin.com/Article/3873052/Latest-news/LIVE-FUTURES-REPORT-0905-SHFE-nickel-price-drops-1-while-trade-concerns-continue-to-cloud-sentiment.html

TDT

Do you have news about hydrogen tech?

May 8, 2019 - BMW and Toyota are working together to bring fuel cell electric vehicles to market as the future transportation sector will slowly transition to 100% electrified powertrains.

"We are also conducting further research into fuel cells with our partner Toyota. Over the long term, drive trains with hydrogen fuel cells will offer greater local emission-free range, with very short refuelling times. These will complement our battery-electric vehicles,” said Kruger.

Countries in Europe have already announced that they will be banning the sale of internal combustion engines in 2025 and 2030. Batteries and fuel cells will be the solutions to emission-free driving moving forward.

Nuno

I invested in a hydrogen fuel cell company 15/20 years ago called Zetek. They were going to be the next Ballard Power (look them up, a Canadian hydrogen fuel cell company who’s stock went up over 1,000% back in the day). Zetek became AFC Energy.

Since then I haven’t really followed developments with hydrogen largely because battery performance has improved significantly in that time. I don’t think hydrogen is the route to go down. The infrastructure would be costly, the conversion from hydrogen to electricity is poor and the costs of producing the hydrogen high. There may be certain applications where it makes sense; ships, planes, trucks in fact anything long range but for cars it doesn’t make much sense in my opinion.

I’ll read the articles you posted and will watch developments with interest but I don’t expect them to significantly impact the roll out of EVs.

TDT,

I’ve been reading a lot about hydrogen, China is developing projects.
Toyota is well ahead of the other builders.

Normally, when you have two technologies, one of them ends up winning.

This noise about the lack of raw materials for batteries, is a noise that bothers those who invest in battery technology.

I agree that the tech of the battery is much more advanced, and have made great progress, but there are a lot of stress regarding the autonomy of the vehicle.

I know that the infrastructure for hydrogen station, are extremely expensive, implies transportation and distribution.

An analysis I read says that it is possible to transport about 10% hydrogen in the gas pipes.

We have to be up to date, so it will be a subject that I will post here.

I have, Ballard, Powercell.

Nuno

I don’t think battery metals will be an issue in the long term. The whole process, ultimately, becomes cyclical in time since all the metals in the batteries are 100% recyclable. Furthermore battery technology is very much in its infancy, it’s still developing. The next generation of batteries will likely use no cobalt, nickel or lithium and be significantly more powerful with much higher energy densities. Hydrogen, on the other hand, will be both difficult and costly to produce in sufficient quantities to satisfy the burgeoning demand for zero emissions vehicles.

If hydrogen powered vehicles do take significant market share it will be for geo-political reasons. China dominating the battery market and having a virtual stranglehold over the supply of some of the metals would be a strong incentive to back a different technology. Time will tell.

Nickel stocks in the LME fell 3,324 tonnes this week. This week was a 4 day week! Next week should be interesting.

Primearth EV Energy, they are making NiMH battery cells for Toyota