Menu
Close

Brexit Wars 3

lse:hsba
lse:lloy
lse:barc

Pete,

Well if you do get hijacked, kidnapped and taken to a jail in Tehran we’ll campaign to get the PM to negotiate your release. Hum, maybe not such a good idea…

IMHO,

SBK

yes dont bother

Seen this about little ireland in the EU

Pete,

No need to brag about your new found national identity!

I expect that Hong Kong and Australia will slip down the rankings this year, along with the UK of course.

I’m going to check out Burundi because if the annual average income there is 596 Euros I reckon I could feel really rich there.

Done that. Doesn’t look good. Wiki says:

“The World Happiness Report 2018 ranked Burundi as the world’s least happy nation with a rank of 156.[33]”.

Might suit us Remainers though?

IMHO,

SBK

Some speculation on how the EU negotiations might pan out…

…and it ain’t pretty.

Frog in a tree

Funny, when I google it I get:

The U.S. goods trade deficit with European Union countries was $169 billion in 2018. Trade in services with the EU (exports and imports) totaled an estimated $452 billion in 2018. Services exports were $256 billion; Services imports were $196 billion. The U.S. services trade surplus with the EU was $60 billion in 2018.

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/europe-middle-east/europe/european-union

So goods surplus of $169 billion less services surplus of $60 billion leaves net deficit of $109 billion. Furthermore, the French have gone it alone with a 3% digital tax on US tech companies. That is why a world of pain is about to come their way via massively increased tariffs that are specifically targeted at French exports to the US.

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/europe-middle-east/europe/european-union

Says the man who posts unintelligible , barely literate streams of consciousness and wall to wall tabloid newspaper headlines.

It seems that parts of the Israeli press have turned against the 12 alleged rapists. Maybe some of the truth is in this article:

Hopefully the young woman will procede with her appeal and win.

Frog in a tree

You hope, due to your hatred of the EU. The French don’t give a stuff about Trump’s threats unlike the supine Liar Johnson regime. That is also why Macron and Merkel have told orangehead to stuff his Iranian war games up his jacksy.

IMHO,

SBK

US tariffs on French wine and other luxury goods will hurt France…and of course US consumers who will have to pay much more for the finer things in their lives. There will be a political price to pay on both sides of the Atlantic. The problem remains that US tech companies do not pay their fair share in taxation in the countries where they make their sales, in the UK as much as in France.

The additional tax on these tech companies proposed by France is a modest 3%. If The Groper imposes punitive tariffs on French exports then Macron should ramp up that 3% to something like 10%. Let’s hear them squeal!

Frog in a tree

I don’t hope Buns I read the news. Bruno Le Maire can make as many threats to the Americans as he likes but when push comes to shove, the French will be the ones who really suffer in a trade dispute. Macron has (despite your naive protestations to the contrary) massively mishandled the Americans. Going it alone with that digital tax was a red rag to a bull, they’ve bitten off way more than they can chew. Their trouble is they are used to pushing around smaller countries within the EU.

Drivel.

The country who is going to suffer most at the end of the year is the UK with no trade deal with the USA or anybody else.

IMHO,

SBK

Translation: I’m wrong so I’ll change the subject. You are the one who is hoping, desperate to see us fail to justify your bunker mentality and doom monger tosh.

Nope, its the same subject. You with your Little England looking up to big Uncle Sam mentality are desperate for the EU to fail so that the Brexit disaster for the UK won’t look so bad.

What will happen in fact is that the EU will sail merrily along whilst the UK flounders in the doldrums.

IMHO,

SBK

I note that more than 16000 shops closed in the UK last year with the loss of 140,000 jobs.

Online shopping was responsible for much of the above and it can’t be stopped of course. But foreign companies such as Amazon should be paying their fair share of tax here. American companies have always rodgered Britain. Just wait until they seize control of the pharma supplies.

IMHO,

SBK

You are missing a number. Subsidiaries of US companies such as Apple, Amazon, Facebook etc. made $107bln profits in Europe in 2017 and sent that money to the US - or rather to tax paradises in order to avoid the US tax. That makes the total almost even.

Those profits are primarily booked in the european tax havens: Netherlands, UK, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus. The french tax can only be the first step.

Wishful thinking. The EU has enough means to hurt the USA. The UK alone has much less.

Looks like they’ve taken back control.

Prove my point again . the thread was you cant produce any arguments or benefits for this farce and you come out with nothing but childish one liners and made up figures,
so
change he subject talk about tariffs USA / France and you cant even get that right… eg…

arsanias
So goods surplus of $169 billion less services surplus of $60 billion leaves net deficit of $109 billion.
You are missing a number. Subsidiaries of US companies such as Apple, Amazon, Facebook etc. made $107bln profits in Europe in 2017 and sent that money to the US - or rather to tax paradises in order to avoid the US tax. That makes the total almost even.

The fact is the French have won every trade dispute with the USA over the last 20 years with support from the EU.

They know they only have to slap tariffs on orange juice and the standing president loses Florida in the next election.

They’ve done it before and the US crumpled. It is very difficult to win a presidential election without Florida.

The first misunderstanding is that there is a trade dispute between the USA and France. Trump makes the same mistake by thinking that he can settle trade affairs between the USA and member countries. Trade affairs are handled on EU level. France cannot make any tariffs. The EU will. If it doesn’t now then only because current US measures against France don’t really hurt.

The second mistake is that the USA will suffer less than the EU.

…and btw both assumptions will no longer be true for the UK. It stands alone and is more vulnerable. Have fun dealing with the USA and avoid showing any red flags to the “bull”.

After all, Trumps days are not endless and they will probably not inaugurate a similar jerk.

No, I’m not missing a number. That is earnings from foreign direct investment which is NOT the same as trade in goods and services. Perhaps you need to consult a dictionary and understand the definition of trade?