Please remember, investment value can go up or down and you could get back less than you invest.
Benefits of our trading account
- Our low, flat fees don’t grow with your investments – so more of your money stays invested.
- You could be up to £43k better off over 30 years when you keep a Trading Account and Stocks and Shares ISA with ii. Learn more
- We give you a free trade every month, and there are no trading fees with our regular investing service.
- We offer the widest choice – over 40,000 UK and international investment options, including shares, funds, trusts and ETFs.
- Your £9.99 monthly fee also includes our Stocks and Shares ISA and Junior ISA.
Analysis shows you could be better off by £43k over 30 years of investing in an ii Trading Account (General Investment Account) plus an ii ISA due to our low flat fees. This is just for illustration if all other factors were the same. The advantage of lower flat fees over time means that you could be significantly better off in the long run. By how much will always depend on your personal circumstances. More about our analysis
Looking for a general investment account?
The ii Trading Account is ideal for investors who want flexibility and uncapped investment options. You’ll have access to the widest choice of investment options in the market - including shares, funds, trusts and ETFs.
We give you the tools you need to become a confident investor, including expert insights straight to your inbox. Plus you can access your money whenever you like and trade securely at any time, using our iOS and Android apps.
Joint trading account
Our joint trading account provides all the benefits of our trading account, but with shared ownership. Investments held in a joint account will be registered in both names.
It’s easy for both people to access, with separate passwords. You’ll each have a private view of any personal accounts, such as our ISA or SIPP.
Fees and charges
- It costs £9.99 to join ii, which includes our Trading Account, Stocks and Shares ISA and Junior ISA.
- Add a SIPP for just £10 a month extra. (Special offer: open a SIPP by 31 March and pay no SIPP fee until October 2021. Terms apply.)
- Your first trade each month is free. Additional trades usually cost £7.99.
- It’s free to top up your investments each month with our regular investing service.
- There are some activity-based charges for things like Stamp Duty and foreign currency exchange. View our charges page for a full list.
An investment platform you can trust
- We are the UK’s #1 flat-fee investment platform, with over 350,000 customers.
- We are multi award-winning. In 2020 alone we were named Best Low Cost Stockbroker (ADVFN), Best Fund Platform (COLWMA), Best International Share Dealing Service (Shares Awards) and more.
- To ensure its safety, any money you hold with ii is placed in a bank account which is established with statutory trust status. This means your money is kept separate from our own.
- You are also protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).
- And if you are not satisfied with our service, it’s completely free to leave.
We offer a wide range of shares, funds, trusts and ETFs – and the tools to help you choose. Take a look at our experts' ideas for building your trading account portfolio:
Get started with our trading account
It takes less than 10 minutes to get started. You will just need your address details, your debit card details and your National Insurance number to hand.
Already an ii customer?
Simply log in to apply. Your new Trading Account will automatically be added to your existing plan so you will continue to make the same monthly payment.
Trading account FAQs
What is a trading account?
Our trading account is our general investment account, with no limits on how much you can invest.
How do I open an online trading account?
Getting started is quick and easy. You will just need your bank account details and National Insurance number to hand. Then click here to open an account.
Once you have opened your account, you will need to add cash to buy your first investments. You can either buy investments as and when you choose, or you can set up regular investing to top up your investments monthly.
Can I transfer my investments from a different provider?
Yes – our online transfer process is simple. When you open an account, you will be asked whether you want to transfer any existing accounts. If you prefer, you can log in later to start your transfer.
You might want to transfer if:
- You are paying too much in fees elsewhere.
- You have cash savings in a low-interest account, and want to start investing for the possibility of better returns. (Please note this is not guaranteed.)
- You have other accounts with ii, and want to simplify your finances by keeping all your investments with us.
Can I have multiple trading accounts?
Yes - you can have several trading accounts open at the same time. You can only have one Stocks and Shares ISA.
Some people choose to have different accounts for different purposes – for example, some people keep their share trading separate from their long-term investing.