Please remember, investment value can go up or down and you could get back less than you invest. The value of international investments may be affected by currency fluctuations which might reduce their value in sterling. We may receive two elements of commission in relation to international dealing - Trading Commission and our FX Charge. Please see our rates and charges for full details of the relevant costs. Foreign markets will involve different risks from the UK markets. In some cases the risks will be greater.
With global market conditions so variable, there has never been a better time to broaden your horizons and look overseas for investment ideas.
US stocks have had an incredible 12 months - and although that doesn’t guarantee future performance, there are still plenty of appealing opportunities for keen investors.
Need help with choosing international investments? We've put together a few handy tools to help you choose:
Most popular US shares
View the shares ii customers are buying.
ii Super 60
Our Super 60 list includes a range of funds with a global reach.
ii ACE 40
Our ethical investment shortlist includes a number of global and US funds.
Multi award-winning service
We’ve won ‘Best International Share Dealing Service’ at the Shares Awards every year since 2017, and ADVFN’s ‘Best Stockbroker for International Dealing’ every year since 2018.
Why we’re best for international shares
- We offer the widest choice of international investments on the market.
- We give you control over the currency you use to trade. You can hold up to 9 foreign currencies in your ii account. Learn more
- Unlike other platforms, we give you access to new shares and stock splits on day 1 - thanks to our direct access to global markets.
- You can use your free monthly trade to buy and sell international shares.
Get the insights you need
As an ii customer, you can get the latest news and analysis straight to your inbox. Take a look at some of our recent articles below:
1 hour ago
Month in the markets: rotation to value stocks slows in April
The move from growth to value stocks has slowed over the past month.
by Tom Bailey
3 hours ago
Stockwatch: are Peloton shares a buy after 50% crash?
Our stock picker assesses the outlook for the troubled business for alert traders and genuine investors.
by Edmond Jackson
Fees and charges
- It costs £9.99 a month to join ii, which includes our Stocks and Shares ISA, Trading Account and Junior ISA. Add a SIPP for just £10 a month extra.
- We give you a free trade every month. Additional US trades usually cost £7.99.
- Frequent traders can get reduced rates on international shares with our Super Investor service plan.
- There is a foreign exchange fee of 1.5% when you trade in pounds. This is reduced for transactions over £25,000. You can avoid paying this fee every time you trade by holding foreign currency in your account. Learn more
With ii you can trade shares on 17 global exchanges in the following countries:
- North America: United States, Canada
- Europe: Ireland, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium, Italy, The Netherlands, Sweden*, Switzerland*
- Asia Pacific: Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore
* phone orders only
Get set up for international trading
Before you can buy international shares, there are a few things you’ll need to do.
Sign the online Exchange Agreements
This ensures you can get live prices. To do this, log in to your account, click ‘Trading’ and select ‘Trade now’. Then click the ‘International’ tab, followed by ‘Sign the exchange agreements.
US shares – complete a W-8BEN form
You can now do this online by logging in and visiting our Useful Forms page.
Alternatively, you can can print and complete a paper W-8BEN form, then scan and return by secure message from your online account. Please be aware that this will take longer to process.