menu

Store visit re-assures

lse:tsco

I've argued with the poster/s, I'm still not sure if it is one or more yet, called Tas.

What have I seen, when I've steped back, someone who is generally right. Tas is abrupt, rude and insensative, but by reading his posts and waiting I've made money at times, by going long from his insight.

Don't argue with Tas, just wait for the information, and wait for the levels stated. If they come, money can be made, if they don't you aint invested/traded yet, so not lost. But do it by your choice.

SM

ps Don't know the face/s behind the posts, so have nothing to gain.

Tas,

"Didn't you say you'd set it at a maximum of 10% loss ?"

No, this is what I posted on 13 January:

"for the first time in my life I've made a New Year's resolution to impose a stop loss whenever one of my shares falls by 15% from the reset value to which I, erm, reset them on 1 January this year. So I shall be out if Tesco falls to 280 from my 330 entry point."

Your support levels, caps 'n collars, or whatever you wanna call 'em mean nothing to me, just as I imagine that the support level that your goat entrails would have been indicating the day b4 Tesco's 20% plunge would have been well above 330p. Similarly, the TA for Carnival, the cruise line company, would not have indicated a precipitate fall for the share price the day b4 the captain of the Costa Concordia piloed his ship up on the rocks.

Events, dear boy, they are the things which shape the share price.

However I will acknowledge that you warned me not to get in at 330p, straight after the initial fall, and I would now be better off if I'd listened to your advice. We shall see, in a year's time, who was more right, unless the share price goes below 280p, in which case you will defo have been right ... and Warren Buffett and Charlie Munter will have been wrong. As will

LKH on the flybridge

Tejo

Helpful post.

I live near E Grinstead and shop at Sainsburys because closer. However, once every couple of months I shop at one of the big Tescos near Gatwick. Just to see how busy, what fresh produce looks like (if it is rough - might suggest store doing little turnover on fresh produce and/or that produce has to be thrown away more often than it should, at a loss to company) etc.

While daily movements in SP have very little to do with store visits, store visits can point towards medium term outlook for Tesco in UK.

TS

I'm not going to look at anything related for TA. I'm going to decide that already i'm in love with TSCO and just going to visit to ''re-assure'' my silly purchase----ketchup check, cola available check, clubcard points check, think i'll average down! What a load of cobblers-----store visit's do nothing sunshine, if the city did ''store visit's" and acted upon it then it would mean something. Popping down to ur local to re-assure is nothing short of naive!

as I read it, comments immplyiny that you should ignore store activity.......does this mean that if you visited a store and it had an empty car park and the staff were standing around chatting or reading magazines that you would still keep your share holding......surely customer activity/interest is an important consideration in judging future performance

'as I read it, comments immplyiny that you should ignore store activity.......does this mean that if you visited a store and it had an empty car park and the staff were standing around chatting or reading magazines that you would still keep your share holding......surely customer activity/interest is an important consideration in judging future performance'

If done properly as a survey of customer activity across stores/sectors/regions/hours of the day. Sure.

The account of 1 store visit at 1 time of the day by an individual who always goes to that store at roughly the same time is utterly useless.

Tas

If you conduct an opinion poll and ask just one person his/her opinion, the print the results, do you think that poll would carry much weight? because just visiting your local store comes to much the same thing.

as I read it, comments immplyiny that you should ignore store activity.......does this mean that if you visited a store and it had an empty car park and the staff were standing around chatting or reading magazines that you would still keep your share holding......surely customer activity/interest is an important consideration in judging future performance

If your investment was your local small chain grocery than yes. We're talking about a multi national company here where a certain level of standard with be expected as the standard. To start using store experiences to make investments decisions for Tesco is bordering the ridiculous. Plus the posters that are mentioning their experiences are just trying to console themselves for holding such large paper loss's. If they are long term holders I'm such they have nothing to worry about. So why they are trying to convince themselves all will be fine by talking about shopping experiences I have no idea.

I agree 100% +++ that asking one person or visiting one store does not necessary reflect the overall picture but but it may be an indication of what is happening and therefore one can decide to ignore, make further research or observations based on responses from areas like this BB should others be seeing the same or opposite happenings....charting is history, it does not tell you what is going to happen tomorrow but may indicate a possible trend....todays newspaper is the history of yesterday which may or maynot be repeated....

'charting is history, it does not tell you what is going to happen tomorrow but may indicate a possible trend....todays newspaper is the history of yesterday which may or maynot be repeated....'

/facepalm... like hard !

go and jumble all those thoughts in a big pot... shake hard... and just read it out as it comes out...

I think you'll find it will be quite hard for today's newspapers to be the history of yesterday !!!

Tas

tas...your BB entry today at 13.11 is now history

Looking to see what my thinking was about the time i purchased .
16/03/11 and 23/03/12. ( H ) now ( s )
See there were also posts re: buffets biggest mistake ( around top up time )
Gonna end up with more ( X ) Booker take over.
Did Lk Hyman ever sell i wonder.
Note hes not posted anywhere for a wile hope hes OK.

Just looked at chart and see it dropped to 140 end of 2016 ,
seeing his bottom line was 280 guess he must of.

Dropped below 200 today that’s below the booker extra shares for less money.
Did those who got scaled back think of buying ?

TSCO…
XXXXX
Interesting reading these old posts must of been considering buying in March.
I did yesterday @ 218.50 …
I used to enjoy Hyman like many thought he made wise posts .
Even he got some wrong .

Hi Ripley,
Well, I have quite a few shares at a cost price of circa 161p, and am holding on for better times and an increasing divi.
I,too, miss LKH and his observations from the flybridge.

TSCO…
XXXX
Topped to soon 198 yesterday 9% from 218.5 ( LC yesterday ) double bottom maybe bit of a rise today to 200p

TSCO
XXXX
195 today .
Very volatile FTSE 100 year low today a 2.7% drop to 6740 @ 10 am.
23rd March 6921… previous year low … 27th May gained to 7877 ( nearly 14 % ).
More recent low 26th October 6939 … ( so gone 2.3% below previous year lows )
5 year low 12 Feb 2016… 5707.
Mainly due to heavy losses in Asia over concerns about USA and China relations , plus arrest of CFO of china telecom company by USA in Canada over sanction irregularity over Iran. ( China claiming its wrong )… Siva mentioned tension yesterday in the area .
brexit deal log jam worry government will fall . Parliament in control over government .

Nothing to do with over-hyped stock markets then?

Hi SaraRacano.
Ever see Tom W at west Ham ?
Topped up @ 193p