Menu
Close

What a nice surprise

lse:nxt

I had a small CFD position where I have been moving my limit price up over the past week. Last night I moved it to 5320; it was already in profit but I thought I would try to get a little more, and not expecting dramatic moves.

This morning I saw that the trade had been closed and then looked at where the SP was. At the time it was just over 5700, so I thought “Damm” thinking my trade would have been closed at the limit I had set. I was very pleasantly surprised this afternoon when I actually checked the trade details to find it had been closed at 5570, and extra 250 points.

Bowman, "- thinking my trade would have been closed at the limit I had set. "
Limit prices not guaranteed unless you pay extra for that option. Your limit order would probably
have been met shortly after 08:00 when market opened. It can of course work to your disadvantage as well if SP opens sharply lower, which could be a lot lower than your stop loss limit price for a long order, or higher open for a short position. Same applies to buying and selling shares using limit orders. When trading shares I very seldom do immediate ones at market price, preferring to do limit order trades. Saves having to be in front of PC at 8 AM as well.