Please remember, investment value can go up or down and you could get back less than you invest. The value of international investments may be affected by currency fluctuations which might reduce their value in sterling.
Get your Trading Account cashback offer
New customers who open a Trading Account and start a transfer of, or deposit, £2,000 or more before 29 February 2024 will receive a £100 to £1,500 cashback payment.
Once the transfer is complete and additional terms have been met, we'll pay your cashback into your Trading Account. Once you've opened a Trading Account, an ISA can be added for free.
Simply open an account to get started. Cashback paid after 12 months. Terms apply.
A cashback offer that won't be eaten up in high % fees
When it comes to investing, you need to keep your iis peeled. Generous cashback sign-up offers might look nice, but how good a deal are you actually getting?
Most investment platforms hit you with percentage fees – the more you make, the more they take. When you take that into account, how good is the cashback offer, really?
At ii, our flat fees mean you have greater control of your finances and pay the same amount every month. You deserve a cashback offer with low, flat, fair fees. Anything else just doesn’t add up.
Why choose an ii Trading Account?
- Low, flat fees - could save you money and help you achieve your goals sooner.
- More opportunities - choose from one of the widest range of investments on the market.
- You're in control - check on your investments any time, anywhere with our secure mobile app.
- We've got your back - our UK-based team is rated 'excellent' on Trustpilot.
- Learn from the best - impartial information from our analysts, including selected funds, ready-made portfolios and our award-winning newsletters.
*We've crunched the numbers: If you invested in both our Trading Account (General Investment Account) and ISA, after 30 years you could be better off by £43k. That's more than £1,000 difference a year, just for using us over another platform. Lots of things can affect your final figure. But the lower the fees, the more money you'll keep for yourself. This is just for illustration if all other factors were the same. Don't just take our word for it: check our working out here.
Ready to open your Trading Account?
Open a Trading Account today
It takes less than 10 minutes to get started. You will just need your address details, your debit card details and your National Insurance number to hand.
All our plans allow you to invest as little as £25 a month using our free regular investing service. Other fees such as stamp duty and foreign exchange charges may apply. Read more: Our charges
If you're already a customer simply log in to add a Trading Account.
ii currently pays interest on British pound and US dollar cash balances. See here for our latest rates.
Looking for a general investment account?
The ii Trading Account is ideal for investors who want flexibility and uncapped investment options. You’ll have access to one of the widest choice of investment options in the market - including shares, funds, trusts and ETFs.
We give you the tools you need to become a confident investor, including expert insights straight to your inbox. Plus you can access your money whenever you like and trade securely at any time, using our iOS and Android apps.
Joint Trading Account
Our Joint Trading Account provides all the benefits of our trading account, but with shared ownership. Investments held in a joint account will be registered in both names.
It’s easy for both people to access, with separate passwords. You’ll each have a private view of any personal accounts, such as our ISA or SIPP.
Our Investor Essentials plan is not available on this account type.
An investment platform you can trust
- We are the UK’s #1 flat-fee investment platform, with over 400,000 customers.
- We are multi award-winning.
- To ensure its safety, any money you hold with ii is placed in a bank account which is established with statutory trust status. This means your money is kept separate from our own.
- You are also protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).
- And if you are not satisfied with our service, it’s completely free to leave.
We offer a wide range of shares, funds, trusts and ETFs – and the tools to help you choose. Take a look at our experts' ideas for building your trading account portfolio:
Trading Account FAQs
Our trading account is our general investment account, with no limits on how much you can invest.
Getting started is quick and easy. You will just need your bank account details and National Insurance number to hand. Then click here to open an account.
Once you have opened your account, you will need to add cash to buy your first investments. You can either buy investments as and when you choose, or you can set up regular investing to top up your investments monthly.
Yes – our online transfer process is simple. When you open an account, you will be asked whether you want to transfer any existing accounts. If you prefer, you can log in later to start your transfer.
You might want to transfer if:
- You are paying too much in fees elsewhere.
- You have cash savings in a low-interest account, and want to start investing for the possibility of better returns. (Please note this is not guaranteed.)
- You have other accounts with ii, and want to simplify your finances by keeping all your investments with us.
If you want to trade while your transfer is in progress, most providers will be able to facilitate this as long as your investments aren’t in the process of being re-registered.
You should contact your current provider to place your trade(s). Don’t forget to keep both them and us updated on the changes to the investments in your account. We can’t be held liable for any missed opportunity if you choose not to trade while your transfer is in flight.
Yes - you can have several trading accounts open at the same time. You can only have one Stocks and Shares ISA.
Some people choose to have different accounts for different purposes – for example, some people keep their share trading separate from their long-term investing.