Menu
Close

Brexit Wars 3

lse:hsba
lse:lloy
lse:barc

I don’t need to get top jobs in the City Jack. I get paid way more than most of them when I choose to be on contracts.

I too am benefiting from the Brexit volatility with my own wad… but it doesn’t stop me pointing out what the Government have forecast for the UK, what the IMF have forecast for the UK and indeed what every independent Analytical group have forecast for the UK… which is that the UK will be worse off than it would have been by remaining a member of the EU.

Nothing to do with crystal balls… just hard economic realities.

I know that the UK will leave and will very unlikely have the same access to the common market. So, the situation will be less attractive for investors. How much, we don’t know. What will the UK do to counteract and persuade investors? The Singapore model? Lower labour and social standards? The problem is that those measures will again bite into the relationship to the EU. The EU has made clear that it wants to maintain the level playing field. So, one or the other, tax free trades or lower standards, not both. There is no easy way out other than perhaps a BRINO.

Hmm lets see now:

1. Rated by Forbes as the best country in the world to do business based on 15 different criteria including:
    “property rights, innovation, taxes, technology, corruption, freedom (personal, trade and monetary), red tape and investor protection. Other metrics included were workforce, infrastructure, market size, quality of life and risk. Each category was equally weighted.”

https://www.forbes.com/best-countries-for-business/list/

1. We speak the international language of business
  2. 4 of the world’s top 10 and 17 of the world’s top 100 universities
  3. A thriving tech industry that is going to get a whole lot bigger when free of EU regulation, just watch all those European tech companies decamp to London.
  4. Huge, and growing, appetite amongst foreign CEOs to invest here (see below)

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2020/01/uk-continues-to-lure-investment-from-europes-ceos/

But hey @arsanias why would anyone want to invest here? I mean all they have to do is come onto this BB and listen to you whingers and they’ll cry off immediately.

You people are so completely deluded is utterly laughable. Time to take your pill.

Arsanias,

But it was implicit in your very first question. No? Or do you just like being negative?

You’re asking me to be specific about ongoing uncertainties which have yet to fully evolve & which we can at best only generalise about. It’s no secret that UK has been courting India for more business for a good while. I imagine the results of more recent meetings will have determined little concrete until UK has more clarity on its future relationship with the EU & associated regulations.

But India is attractive for a few reasons, as is the UK for them. Its economy is growing faster than any other. There’s already a large Indian community in UK. Some 1.5 million citizens, many already running successful global companies. Last I read, 842 with collective revenues of over £48 billion & rising.
But we’ll want much more business from such nations post-Brexit.

Considering the existing relationship, the common language, strong cultural links, with UK proven as a nation where talented Indians can & do succeed, why wouldn’t more want to come here & invest? That was my original point last night. Regardless of your negative slant, IMO, as yet there are no compelling reasons why trading relationships with nations like India cannot be expanded further post-Brexit.

But what do I know? I’m just a trader. Observing that there’s a hardcore group of Remainers here who seem fixated on ruling out any positives for UK after we leave & keep insisting they know better. - GL.

Your list is a nonsense You are the deluded one.

1. Forbes

You find all that in the EU. 2019 is past. 2020 the UK will leave and with that the #1 will be gone. …and that #1 is anyway nonsense, because reality speaks a different language. Why did the car manufactures stop their investments if the UK is so great?

1. We speak the international language of business

It will soon be Chinese.

1. 4 of the world’s top 10 and 17 of the world’s top 100 universities

Cool, but cutting yourself from european research cooperation will cause damage.

1. A thriving tech industry that is going to get a whole lot bigger when free of EU regulationa

a) I never head of that british tech industry
b) the UK will follow EU regulations for many reasons. One is that they are a quality feature.

1. Huge, and growing, appetite amongst foreign CEOs to invest here (see below)

Great, but not more than promies.

Great, India will save the UK. If that is not irony… It’s more likely that India is the destination for investments than vice versa.

Arsanias,

You’re free to scoff & misinterpret comments if it makes you feel better. I also mentioned “we’ll want much more business from such nations”. Stands to reason. We know these processes are complex, still evolving & of course we’ll need to set our sights on markets well beyond India. None of that can be achieved quickly or easily, despite some previous claims from Brexiteers.

I’m not a Brexiteer. I felt enormous disappointment after 13th December’s GE outcome & throughout the following w/end. However, part of my philosophy in life is frequent evolution, letting go of lost causes, then switching my wider outlook as circumstances & new realities determine.

There’s a Remainer on here who vows he’ll do everything he personally can do to undermine Brexit. He’s consumed by bitterness & apparent rage. He expresses apparent glee at the prospect of more elderly Brexit voters dying. There’ll be others. I find that sad. I move on & adjust my bearings accordingly.

We know Brexit is reality. It’ll affect all of us living in UK. This is my home. I’d have the same sentiments living anywhere else as I do here given similar circumstances. While I’m not possessed by unbridled optimism, I prefer to keep an open mind about UK’s potential to make a relative success of future challenges. There’ll be many. I hope we (ie. all Britons) can prosper in time, though realistically we’ll again see winners & more losers, just as it’s ever been. That’s all. - GL.

No.
The Tech industry had and continues to perceive Leaving the EU as a major problem that provides large risks and issues with no benefit to them at all.

The UK’s tech industry never thought Brexit was a good idea. Before the referendum in June 2016, a poll of the UK’s tech executives found that 70% wanted to stay in Europe. Top among their worries were the ability to recruit the staff they need from Europe, concerns over data flows, and fears about investment.

And last month seven out of 10 tech execs surveyed by industry group techUK said a no-deal exit would have a negative impact on their business in August 2019 compared with 69% in December 2018, suggesting that despite companies having another nine months to get prepared, they are no happier about the idea.

source: https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/revealed-the-dramatic-changes-tech-firms-are-making-ahead-of-brexit/

Yep great. Hope away.
But according to the Government, Company CEOs and Management and all independent Research … the UK is going to have less winners and more losers than had we stayed members of the EU.

Not my analysis… but that of bodies and people that should know.

That’s your favourite word isn’t it.

But, but, but, but, but, but…it can’t be true. The world is ending this simply cannot be right…

“I’m not a Brexiteer”

So you say Jack. But it does seem very much that you are a Nouveau Brexiteer around these parts. I understand where you are coming from but when I compare what you are saying now it very much the opposite of what you were saying last year but I defend your right to say it.

I understand that Brexit will go ahead but I have not changed my mind. It still seems very much more likely that it will damage our economy and reduce standards and social protections. For these reasons I could never be a cheerleader for ERG Brexit.

Although I agree that Brexit will not completely wreck the UK economy I still think that it will seriously damage the livelihoods of some of our least prosperous citizens and I will continue to argue against it. Always my main reason for supporting our membership of the EU was for the very reason the EU came into being which is the prevention of war between European nations. We have been discussing some of the consequences of this over the last few days. The growth of nationalism in Europe, including in England endangers the peaceful settlement in Europe that has been achieved.

For the time being I will watch how events unfold and continue to criticise the Brexit process as I feel I should.

Frog in a tree

p.s. It is good to see as I have been writing this that the HofL has voted to restore the Dubs amendment into the withdrawal agreement which supported lone child migrants being reunited with relatives resident in the UK.

…and, as I said, on those estimated figures there would be a net loss of 4,600 position. So what exactly are you celebrating?

I suppose the net loss of jobs counts as a win in Brexonomics?

Frog in a tree

Pathetic lying prat.
As ever, attributing things to me that I’ve never said.

If you were interested in what real UK Tech companies of different sizes and at different stages of their development had to say about the Brexit process and it’s impact on their company’s and workforce then you’d do well to read the article… and it’s mostly negative… as you would expect from this farce.

From Huw’s posted article:

More than 300 financial firms in Britain have opened EU hubs to continue serving clients in the bloc after Brexit, according to a recent survey from New Financial think tank.

Consultants EY said on Monday that large UK-based firms had now implemented plans enabling them to continue operating in the EU after Brexit. It maintained its estimate that around 7,000 positions would be relocated from London to the continent and a further 2,400 jobs created and hired for locally at the new EU hubs.

The jobs “created” in the UK are largely due to temporary permissions of firms concerned they will lose access to their UK clients.
Dependent on the negotiations they may or may not stay in the UK but whatever happens net there are large numbers of positions moving to EU states and EU state legal entities being used now and ongoing.

“In practical terms, these figures mean that European firms will be buying office space, hiring staff and engaging legal and professional advisers in the UK,” Bovill said.

Hi Fiat.

I imagine no-one who reads this BB regularly will be too surprised by that interpretation of my general position on Brexit. In fact, I’ve taken a more neutral, open-mined stance for reasons already mentioned. I’ve said it before & by return received a response tantamount to: one is either for or against Brexit. I recall that as my retort at the time was that such attitudes seem reminiscent of fanatical Christians who insisted that if you don’t believe God, you must be against him. Some attitudes here reflect what approaches an occasional fanaticism. Reason, perspective & balance are jettisoned from unrelenting bitterness. It borders on the ridiculous. I’m not referring to you.

Naturally, I respect your stance on Brexit. Ditto those like Pete. Both of you seem very decent people & I know the latter also put a lot of his personal time & energy into the Remain cause. But sometimes highly significant events happen that are beyond our personal control. Then some of us shift our perspectives accordingly rather than continue fighting a lost cause. FWIW, I think we’re unlikely to have another EU Referendum for 15 to 20 years at best. IMO, no point in being bitter about what’s gone & beyond recall.

The things I remain very angry about are issues like the scale of homelessness & vulnerable people dying on the streets of relatively prosperous nations like UK. But that disgraceful state of affairs has been deteriorating in UK for at least the past decade. - Regards. Typo corrected.

HJ - hi,
See the Remainer’s have gone into overdrive as Freedom Day approaches.
Must be getting excited by the prospect and need to do something (anything!), to keep active.
Us Leavers can sit back and sympathise!
Tick … Tock …
JAR
PS well you can sympathise if you wish m8!

You need an edit John. There is no apostrophe needed with “Remainers” when you are using the plural form.

Frog

FIAT hi

You need to get a life! :roll_eyes:
Tick … Tock … only 10 days to go
JAR
:jack_o_lantern: